WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 87 of 149 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 148 149
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by BamaMama
I thoroughly enjoyed the very last book McBain wrote but I just didn't get into "Fat Ollie."

Kathy

Fat Ollie is an acquired taste; I love him as a character but am totally repulsed when I meet him in real life.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Two non-fiction in a row. Surely that's some sort of record. Specifically, last night I finished Mike Sager's Revenge of the Donut Boys: True Stories of Lust, Fame, Survival and Multiple Personality. Sager is a journalist who started at The Washington Post as a reporter and now writes "people pieces" for high-end magazines like Esquire, GQ and Playboy. In that light, he appears to be an early Tom Wolfe wannabe.

Revenge is a collection of seventeen of those "people pieces." Some, like one on Roseanne, were very good. Others, like one where he looked and talked to everyone in the US who is named Mike Sager, were tedious as hell. I sense there were more of the latter than the former, but I'm not interested enough to count and categorize them.

IMHO Sager's strength as a writer is his presentation of detail—but I have to admit that I got right tired of descriptions before the book ended.

I'm glad I read it, but I don't think I'll be searching out more.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
veteran
veteran
Thanks to those who recommended "A Thousand Splendid Suns." I'm nearly through it. I won't say it's can't-put-it-down, but it's definitely interesting enough I haven't started anything else to read simultaneously.

I might even have to read "Kite Runner" now.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
I liked David Mizner's Hartsburg, USA even more than I expected to. From the EW review I gathered its subject was a political race for a local school board position between a conservative, born-again Christian and a liberal. I'll admit that when I started it, I was looking forward to a bash-Christians story. I mean all writers are artsy liberals, aren't they? And Christians are hypocritical and dogmatic. All right. Those elements are in Hartsburg, USA, but by the book's end, the author had given me so much more to think about. And, amazingly enough, he never hit me over the head to support one side or the other. Up until the votes were counted, either candidate could have won and the story would have been believable.

The amazing thing, IMHO, is that the race was realistic. Both candidates had strong points, and each had failings. And that, in turn, created multi-leveled, complex characters. For a realistic look at a small town election, an election that reflects so many issues that are now tearing our country apart, and for a look at remarkably developed characters, I really really recommend this book.

(Kathy, advance warning: it's not a mystery. :))

Mizner has written one other book, Political Animal. I'm on my way now to B&N.com to put it on my wish list.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 02/21/08 09:33 PM.

stranger
stranger
I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" last night. I don't think I've had a book touch me so emotionally as this one did. When I finished completely drained I told my BF it was one of the best books I've ever read...but I never want to read it again.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" last night. I don't think I've had a book touch me so emotionally as this one did. When I finished completely drained I told my BF it was one of the best books I've ever read... but I never want to read it again.

I have such forboding about reading ATSS. I've read the first few chapters and, even from this short sampling, I can tell the excellence of the writing and depth of the story. I just don't know if I'm emotionally capabible of reading this book.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
stranger
stranger
BamaMama,

Read it...even though the book was hard to read at times, it was worth the read. I'll confess there were times when I wanted to give it up but I'm glad I read until the end. It's an emotional journey but one worth taking.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Redheat, I have decided that I will read a chapter or two a day, sort of like an assignment. I know I will be a better person for having read it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by BamaMama
Redheat, I have decided that I will read a chapter or two a day, sort of like an assignment. I know I will be a better person for having read it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kathy

Kathy, reading isn't medicine. If mysteries make you happy, read mysteries.

I'll be willing to bet, though, that the young heroine in SUNS hasn't returned home from "visiting" her father yet. If the story itself--forget the writing or anything else--doesn't grab you then, put it down.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 02/27/08 02:22 PM.

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
I'm glad Greger recommended Charles de Lint, and I'm glad I've read Someplace to Be Flying. I had many differing reactions to various parts of it, but it didn't turn me into a fan. Let me discuss two general problems and then I'll get into some specifics—both good and problematic.

Several blurbs on the book's cover and back compared de Lint to Stephen King. I'm a big fan of the early King where he would take our normal world and then have the bizarre intrude in realistic ways. 'Salem's Lot and Carrie come to mind. In his later books King has moved into the world itself being weird—for example, the Dark Tower series—and I have been much less impressed. De Lint's work is much closer to the late King, and, like King, de Lint's work is well realized. It's just not my cup of tea.

The second issue I had was with the number of characters. Truthfully, I've read Russian novels with less. I do grant, however, that at least the multitudinous characters in Someplace only go by one name. But I must also admit that by the end of the novel I was only keeping track of three of the various groups of characters, and I really resented the author when on page 285 he introduced yet another new character, a Dominique Couteau. Now references to the Cocteau family had been made, but unless Dominique was part of one of the groups whose stories I was by then skimming, she had not actively been "on stage" before. New character? Page 285? Enough already!

Now for specifics, and there were many things about the book that I enjoyed.

1) A blurb on the back of the book explains—in the briefest and simplest way—the world de Lint creates. In addition to human beings, his world contains "animal people" who "walk among us. Native Americans call them the First People, but they have never left." In Someplace Lily is a normal human being; Jack is one of the animal people. The following occurs early in the book. "The stories he (Jack) related were like the ones she (Lily) and Donna used to tell each other when they were kids, the two of them thrown together because no one else in the neighborhood wanted to play with the fat kid with Coke-bottle glasses or her gimpy friend. They were both voracious readers, as much by circumstance as choice, and the stories they made up were a natural outgrowth of all that reading, born out of the need of two tomboys, trapped in bodies that didn't look or work properly, having to make up a place where they could fit in. Because the real world didn't have such a place for them." (page 29.) There's no way I'm not gonna identify with Lily. Tell me more!

2) "Sean MacManus ran an all-night diner around the corner on Kelly Street. Lately, … he'd taken to serving what he figured you really wanted instead of what you'd ordered, which could make for interesting, if frustrating, meals." (page 79) I love the concept and, looking at the paragraph after I've finished the book, am real sorry Sean MacManus never showed up again.

3) "Everybody's got a true home—maybe not where they're living, but where their heart lives." (page 147) Interesting concept. Maybe Ocean City, MD, or anywhere on the Eastern Shore. Maybe even New York City—but only if my heart has lots and lots of money.

4) A character says, "Just because something seems impossible that doesn't mean it's not real." (page 207) Now there's a thought to keep in mind,

5) supported a few pages later with, "What was happening with the world? Maybe all those years of watching shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and now The X-Files were finally taking their toll. People weren't only accepting that the impossible was possible—if not in their hometown, then somewhere." (italics his, page 215) Hence, I assume, the book's title.

6) Words from a "bird person:" "There's no accounting for what some folks'll do. You take a perfectly good section of land and ooh and ahh over just how untouched and pristine, it is, but then you have to change it all out of recognition before you can be comfortable in it. … You never build just what you need, the way we would a nest. You've got to spread out as far as you can, cut down a whole forest, irrigate a whole desert, just to make sure that you won't accidentally stumble upon a place that's still in its natural state." (page 271) Twentieth and twenty-first American life in a nutshell.

7) A character sums up some recent events in the plot: "… it was all too much like walking into the middle of a particularly convoluted foreign film that had no subtitles and was already half over." (page 324) Yep. Sometimes life feels just like that to me—although I'd have to throw in pinches of black and slapstick comedy.

And there it is. De Lint is, at times, an annoying writer; I often found myself growling at split infinitives and bad pronoun references, but looking at the above list, it's clear his writing touched me many times. Greger, would you mind recommending another one? Preferable a shorter one with less characters? (And Someplace is not the one with the cat sitting on a step's riser. I kept looking for it. :D)

Page 87 of 149 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard