WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 101 of 149 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 148 149
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Marlene, mentioned above, is a big Evanovich fan. She sent me one of her books. I didn't turn into a fan.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 08/16/08 08:05 PM.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
enthusiast
enthusiast
"The Haj" by Leon Uris is 525 pages of paperback. It is the book I took to Alaska. It is the story of the settlement and establishment of Israel told from the point of view of an Arab. I'm certain the book is historically accurate. My husband loved the book and quotes from it frequently as if it is a reference book. I am more suspicious, not of the facts, but of the slant by the author. The book is enjoyable enough if you like total depression.

Through the struggles of the eyes of the Arabic family of focus and through their relationship with members of the nearby Kibbutz, I had a feeling of hope for the outcome of the characters. When I was about 1/2 finished reading, I turned to the last chapter.

If you read the book, do not do that. That's all I'll say about that. To write more observations would be a spoiler.

At page 420 I stopped reading with a feeling of total hopelessness for any resolution to regional conflict EVER. The book was written in 1984 but the tribal warfare described could be yesterday's headlines. Uris' premise is that the Arabs have more to fear from each other than they do from the infidels, primarily the Jewish people, but also any supporters of the Jewish people.

The British come across in the book as double dealing, double crossing, promising both sides of the settlement issues things that cannot be delivered.

No, I don't think I can or will finish this book.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
enthusiast
enthusiast
A little book that I can't seem to take off my desk is a mere 207 pages entitled "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. I first heard of the book and the subsequent movie based on the book directed by Sean Penn while on a domed train traveling from Anchorage to Denali.

It is no spoiler to tell the outcome of the story because that is revealed in the first paragraphs of the book and I am told the first scenes of the movie. Chris McCandless, an upper-middle class, all-around attractive, do-good kid who obeyed his parents and finished college at Emory with a high GPA died alone from starvation here in the United States.

Upon graduating from Emory, he told his parents that he would take a little trip, not heading straight back to Northern Virginia where he had grown up and where his father was a powerful scientist for our government.

Dr. and Mrs. McCandless never heard from their son again.

Chris tramped through the U.S. for two years before fulfilling his dream of attempting to live in the wilds of Alaska all alone. He died in an abandoned bus outside the Denali National Park.

The author tells of the wonderful friends "Alex Supertramp" made along the way during his nomad days. Most of these friends would have given anything for the nice young man they grew to know. There are countless reports of him accepting hospitality of other people in a subculture in which most of us are unfamiliar.

Oddly, I didn't find reports of any magnanimous generosity by him to others once he started tramping. He gave of his time and friendship, but it is not reported of any generous donations of money: no reports of earning a position whereby he could give a "hand up."

Chris kept in contact with his new-found "family" up and until he wandered into the wild; yet, he never called his blood relatives.

There are reasons given for Chris' actions, but IMO not explanations. I'll leave those who want to read the book to explore those reasons and seek explanations.

While alone in the wild, living off the land, Chris didn't write any meaningful words of wisdom. His diary consists mostly of logs of the food he killed and the berries he supplemented with the only staple he took into the wilderness, a large bag of rice.

McCandless took with him several paperback books by Thoreau and Tolstoy from which he underlined passages. These are printed in the book and I'll not repeat them. I know that I myself will quote from them in the future. Bringing those quotes to my attention was enough for me to be grateful I read "Into the Wild."

Just in a recent issue of "Sierra" magazine is an article about Alaska, the author, Daniel Duane, says, "It's good to wait; life gets too busy. We need wasted days in random places. It's better if you do not have a book to read. Boredom brings us closer to ourselves and to the world outside. Boredom makes us pay attention to the loon's loud, curious call, and it gives us the time to ask ourselves how exactly a northern seacoast can smell sweet."

McCandless never wrote any such words. He recorded the foods he ate. He underlined passages of books he read. And he died because he was not prepared enough to hike out after actually achieving his dream of surviving for months in the wild. Because he did not have maps, he didn't know of an alternative route out to the Stampede Trail after the rivers were too swollen to cross. Because he didn't have a map, he didn't know that help was only miles away. He survived in the wild. He also died in the wild.

After being alone for three months without seeing a single person, only two weeks after his death, three separate groups of people came upon the school bus within hours of each other. The first set to happen on the bus were hikers. They found a note that said, "I am seriously ill. Please help me. This is not a joke." These hikers were too afraid to go into the bus. The second group of people were hunters and they found McCandless dead of starvation wrapped in the sleeping bag that his mother had made for him. He abandoned his mother but died in her gift. As a mother, I'd like to think by doing that he metaphorically died in her arms.

I can't put this book away. It sits as the single item on my desk. I can't put it away because, as in all life, there is no resolution. There is no moral lesson. There is just grief, just grief -- and that yellow school bus still sitting off the Stampede Trail.

Respectfully,

Kathy Albers

Postscript: I first heard about McCandless on the McKinley Explorer Domed Train. I would have filed the story away; even perhaps/perhaps not rented the movie. Another event compelled me to read the book. Our first night in Denali State Park, my husband and I had signed up for a four-wheel jeep adventure. It was just a luck of the draw I picked this excursion. The route we took was down a road that was not even a road. It was the Stampede Trail.

Last edited by BamaMama; 08/17/08 03:34 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd suggest "One for The Money." I'd skip the rest.

Kathy

I do a lot of driving, so I listen to a lot of audiobooks. This weekend, I blundered into the genre of "Christian thriller", specifically This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. The bad guys are a bunch of New Age, tolerant liberals rolleyes , through which the *real* villains (Satan and all his minions) work their evil ways. Interesting insight into how one group of believers views much of the rest of the world.

The final war will be between Pavlov's dog and Schroedinger's cat. --Robert Anton Wilson
Hekate #71458 08/17/08 02:17 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hekate
I do a lot of driving, so I listen to a lot of audiobooks. This weekend, I blundered into the genre of "Christian thriller", specifically This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. The bad guys are a bunch of New Age, tolerant liberals rolleyes , through which the *real* villains (Satan and all his minions) work their evil ways. Interesting insight into how one group of believers views much of the rest of the world.

I take it that is NOT a recommendation!!!! LOL

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by BamaMama
I'd suggest "One for The Money." I'd skip the rest.

Kathy

That's the one she sent. I don't remember if I finished it; I just remember wondering what the hell Marlene saw in her.

And I tried a Parker detective book; I'm pretty sure you passed it on to me. It was right up there with "One for the Money," although I'm pretty sure I finished the Parker one.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 08/17/08 02:27 PM.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Chris McCandless, an upper-middle class, all-around attractive, do-good kid who obeyed his parents and finished college at Emory with a high GPA died alone from starvation here in the United States. (bold mine)

"... here in the United States" jumped out at me. Why did you mention it? We have so much that no one should starve? Our available educational opportunities can prevent someone from doing something stupid? Something with which he was ill prepared to deal?

Just curious.

BTW, the book is on my to-read list. Eventually I'll get around to it. Actually, it'll probably be part of my next online B&N order.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by humphreysmar
Chris McCandless, an upper-middle class, all-around attractive, do-good kid who obeyed his parents and finished college at Emory with a high GPA died alone from starvation here in the United States. (bold mine)

"... here in the United States" jumped out at me. Why did you mention it? We have so much that no one should starve? Our available educational opportunities can prevent someone from doing something stupid? Something with which he was ill prepared to deal?

I started to write, "He died of starvation in Alaska." but then I thought about the fact that Alaska is part of the United States and I didn't want to exclude it as it being so exotic as to make starvation 'acceptable.' (I found myself while in Alaska saying things such as, "When we get back to the US." and had to correct myself over and over repeating, "When we get back to the lower 48."

Finally, the whole reason I just can't let this story go are the unanswered questions: Why WOULD such a smart boy attack an adventure and be so ill equipped. He had tramped across the US for two years. He was no longer a teen. He had finished college. I think he was 25 when he died.

Krakauer does an excellent job of reporting the facts, giving possible "excuses" for McCandless' misfortune (misfortune - huh? misfortune is a broken ankle!)

Just now reading the cover of the book, I must change a bit of the wording of my review. McCandless attended college on an endowment. When he finished Emory, there was $25,000 left in the fund. He gave the total amount to AMFAR (an effort to combat starvation). Irony. The book is full of irony.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Martha, I'll loan you my copy but this is a "keeper" for me and I suspect upon your reading it, it may be a "keeper" for you as well.

Kathy

Page 101 of 149 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard