WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 60 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 59 60
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by stereoman
You catch on fast, numan. Next thing you know, you'll be quoting the Chief Executive who declared "It's just a G0gringrinAM piece of paper!"

As far as I know, that is the only true statement that Bush has ever made.

And I am sure that he never intended it to be made public.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Roger,

If I understand you correctly, you don't have any desire to discard the US Constitution or Bill of Rights, but only make some changes to limit the power of the President, improve checks and balances, and limit financial influences? And you do support the democratic process, although possibly in a parliamentary system of government? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

The "bad guy" here isn't the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, but the "bad guys" that have circumvented and subverted it. The rule of law is a prerequisite for any democratic system, and you need a moral and ethical people for that rule of law. You're obviously right that the concentration of power in one person is a bad thing. Congress hasn't been doing its job, so we see the rise of the unitary-executive. However, the US Constitution provides the necessary checks and balances, if exercised. Ultimately, the problem is human nature, and to date, the US Constitution and Bill of Rights has been the best check to it in an imperfect world. Personally, I'm not that enthused about a parliamentary system just based on what Blair has managed to pull off in the UK, not to mention the police state he established in the process.

Joe

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted by numan
So, is the U.S. Constitution an adequate protection against tyranny?

So, what would you replace it with to protect us from tyranny?

Joe

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Roger Waters
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
What would you replace it with to keep us safe from tyranny?

This would be a multi-step process of course.
ROger
IMO you missed one big one---somehow eliminate gerrymandering.

I was shocked to learn that re-election rate of a US Congressman is comparable to the old Soviet Polit Bureau! And this happens in large measure because the districts are gerrymandered in such a way that elections are non-competitive. Almost every district has a 60% or greater dominance of one party.

Here are some provisions of the Iowa Plan
How The Iowa Process Works: Under chapter 42 of the Iowa Code, enacted in 1980, the Iowa legislature has the final responsibility for enacting both congressional and state legislative district plans. However, the nonpartisan Legislative Services Bureau starts the process. The Bureau must develop up to three plans that can be accepted or rejected by the legislature.

The four criteria for the Bureau's plans, in descending order of importance, are:

1 - population equality,
2 - contiguity,
3 - unity of counties and cities (maintaining county lines and “nesting” house districts within
senate districts and senate districts within congressional districts), and
4 - compactness.

Chapter 42 specifically forbids the use of political affiliation, previous election results, the addresses of incumbents, or any demographic information other than population in creating the redistricting proposals.
link

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
New Guidelines Would Give FBI Broader Power. If an add appears first in this NY Times article, be patient. The article will load shortly afterwards.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
The DOJ Office of Justice Programs published proposals for state and local police in the July 31 Federal Register that would allow the cops to launch their own criminal investigations based on the suspicion that a target in engaged in criminal activity, including terrorism, and solicited public comments. You're looking at the creation of an American Stasi. I commented electronically and received the Comment tracking number 806ece34. However, before anyone can track my comment, the DOJ has to post it.

The text of my Comment follows:

Dear Mr. Deaver:

Re: OJP Docket No. 1473

As an American citizen whose 4th Amendment right has been violated with impunity by state and local law enforcement (see http://www.governmentspying.blogspot.com), I strongly recommend that the DOJ does not enact the proposed changes to 28 C.F.R. Part 23 for the following reasons: 28 C.F.R. Part 23 already provides for information sharing between state and federal agencies. Furthermore, the DOJ does not have the resources or manpower to adequately train the police in the administration of these proposed changes or investigate the inevitable abuses that will result. The proposed changes, in effect, will give state and local authorities carte blanche to “investigate” any law-abiding citizen, including whistle blowers, protesters, and government policy critics, and expand the scope of any criminal investigation to include the lawyers and witnesses of anyone exposing official misconduct or exercising their First Amendment right. State and local police have an inherent conflict of interest in investigating themselves and these proposed changes eliminate any remaining checks and balances; thereby, providing the “legal” framework to cover-up official misconduct and abuse of authority.

As an American citizen whose life has been affected by such abusive law enforcement investigations based not on any reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, but rather self-serving innuendoes and conducted under the color of law, I am specifically concerned with the following proposed changes to Section 23.20(e) and (f) which expands the dissemination of information that may assist in preventing crime or violence or “any conduct dangerous to human life or property.” In effect, these proposed changes would destroy any privacy and civil liberties based on some vague definition of “dangerous.” By deleting the word “imminent,” Section 23.20(f)(2) allows the dissemination of criminal intelligence “to a government official or any other individual, when necessary to avoid danger to life or property” which could easily serve as a pretext to discredit an individual or their charges and intimidate or threaten witnesses under the color of law.

These proposed changes are too open to deliberate misinterpretation and abuse by those with the will to do so. 28 C.F.R. Part 23 already provides all the direction necessary for law enforcement to do their job within the constraints of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights while keeping all of us safe from the real terrorists and criminals.

Respectfully submitted,
Joe Keegan

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I received an interesting letter, dated August 25, 2008, from Glynis Raval, DOJ Special Litigation Section, Civil Rights Division, following FBI Dir. Mueller testimony before the US Senate. She thanked me for my correspondence and cited the applicable USC sections for their authority. I sent a letter with evidence to FBI Director Mueller requesting an investigation. If I remember correctly, I believe that it was the FBI Civil Rights CID chief that eventually replied and told me (my words) to buzz off. I'll try to find out what correspondence Ms. Raval is referencing.

Joe

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Ms. Raval didn't respond to my fax asking her the dates of my correspondence that she was referencing in her letter, which coincidentally arrived the day after FBI Dir. Mueller's testimony before the Senate. So yesterday I faxed a FOI/PA request letter to the DOJ Civil Rights Division seeking all correspondence both to and from the Special Litigation Section.

Joe

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I received two letters yesterday from the DOJ/FBI. The first letter, dated Sept. 22, 2008, was from an Angela L. Byers, Unit Chief, Initial Processing Unit. Her letter apparently is in response to one of two complaints that I filed on March 17, 2008 with the DOJ OIG against FBI employees. As mentioned in above posts, I had to file FOI/PA requests to find out what happened to my complaints. The FOI/PA response was that there was no records of either complaint.

Whoever signed for Ms. Byers wrote that "We acknowledged receipt of your communications dated March 17, 2008, that you directed to the Office of the Inspector General, Department of Justice (DOJ/OIG), on September 25, 2007. First, I faxed and emailed both complaints on March 17, 2008, which is the day that they received it, and I believe that Ms. Byers mistakenly wrote the year as "2007" instead of 2008. If so, she also got the date wrong as her letter to me is dated September 22, 2008 and I supposedly referred it to her unit on September 25- three days after she wrote the letter. If her date is correct, however, my complaint was forwarded to her unit six months before I filed it. Apparently my complaint is caught up in some FBI time/space warp, which would also explain the whereabouts of my other separate complaint charging and incontrovertibly proving that FBI employees lied.

At any rate, she wrote that my complaint was against the FBI's Jacksonville Division,including former Special Agent in Charge Michael J. Folmar. She eventually concluded that I didn't provide any specific evidence to support my allegations and the royal "we" in her unit determined that this matter doesn't warrant further administrative action and the matter is closed. Realize that this is the division that insures the honesty and integrity of FBI employees. Does that surprise anyone?

The second letter, dated September 23, 2008, is from David M. Hardy, who handles the FBI's FOIA's, in reference to Request No: 1111513-001. Section Chief Hardy wrote that his letter was to advised me that my pending FBI request is being reviewed by an analyst. As noted in an above post, I received a letter, dated July 7, 2008, from US DOJ Office of Information and Privacy Associate Director Janice Galli McLeod regarding- Appeal No.08-1881;Request No. 1111513. Assoc. Dir. McLeod remanded my FOI/PA request (1111513)back to the FBI. At the time I wondered why, because the FBI already denied having any records and described earlier appeals as moot, even though they denied one of my request under a FOIA exemption.

Any of this make any sense to you? I can only conclude that the FBI is lying and covering up not only for their own employees failure to investigate my charges, but also for Florida law enforcement official misconduct and abuse, which amounts to psychological torture, as well. The old saying that "one hand washes the other and they both wash the face" is appropriate here. I have suspicions that the FDLE would return the favor if they stumbled upon some illegal FBI surveillance.

So what's my point? My point is that there are no checks and balances to these abuses no matter what FBI Director Mueller may have told the Senate last week. Finally, the condensed and sanitized version of my charges that you're reading here is nothing compared to what the general public will see and possibly you yourself experience in the near future.

Joe

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I received a reply from Nelson D. Hermilla, Chief of US DOJ FOI/PA Branch Civil Rights Division yesterday to my 9-25-08 FOI/PA request referenced above in a 9/25/08 post. The DOJ numbered my FOI/PA.: 2008-0520(6-099). However, if memory serves, it's the first time that they assigned a date received- 9/25/-08- to one of my requests. As they say, there's a first time for everything. At any rate, the DOJ maintains that it has a large inventory of FOI/PA's and they'll get to me on FIFO basis. Incidentally, in the past, I've always have gotten along with the FBI and their agents. I want to end the psychological torture. That's not unreasonable, is it? After all, I'm an American and I have rights, right?

Joe

Page 17 of 60 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 59 60

Link Copied to Clipboard