WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 105 of 149 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 148 149
SuZQ #76006 09/18/08 05:27 PM
veteran
veteran
On a lighter note - I've just finished, or almost finished, The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food. by Jennifer 8 Lee.

The book is an exploration of Chinese food - more specifically, of American Chinese food. From the origin of the fortune cookie (Japanese, did you know?) to a quick biography of General Tso (and why does he have a chicken?) to a more serious look at the Chinese restaurant business, from the suppliers to the workes and owners.

I found the book to be maybe two chapters too long, but that's okay as each chapter is self-contained and it's permissible to skip anything that doesn't interest you.

I have no idea what prompted me to pick this up at the library, aside from deep and abiding love of mu shu pork. The book covers a lot of territory, so it doesn't get into a lot of detail at any particular point. Light reading, but enjoyable -- especially if you pick up some take-out on the way home from the library.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
J
veteran
veteran
J
Any recipes or cooking tips in it?

veteran
veteran
No, not really - unless they're in the last chapter or two, which I haven't finished. It's really about the whole cultural phenomenon of restaurant/takeout Chinese, and its huge place in American culture (for example, there's a chapter on Chinese food as an American Jewish tradition.)

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am having a case of reader's block! I read 1/2 of a book this week and realized I didn't know a thing that was happening in the plot. Football season does this to me!! crazy

Where ever you go, there you are!
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
No, not really - unless they're in the last chapter or two, which I haven't finished. It's really about the whole cultural phenomenon of restaurant/takeout Chinese, and its huge place in American culture (for example, there's a chapter on Chinese food as an American Jewish tradition.)

Any reference to Soy Vay? Their Cha Cha Chinese Salad Dressing makes any excellent chicken salad. The recipe on the dressing bottle called for mai-fun rice sticks. I didn't feel like googling it, so I emailed Soy Vay, asked them what they were, where can I get them, and what's a good substitute if unavailable in this area. They got right back to me and answered some other preparation questions as well. Try Cha Cha Chinese chicken salad sometime.

A number of months ago, The New Yorker had an excellent and very interesting article on olive oil. You wouldn't believe the intrigue and politics surrounding olive oil.

veteran
veteran
Yes, Soy Vey got a mention - although I'll admit the one bottle of their sauce I ever bought, I ended up throwing out; I just didn't care for it.

The book really is fun; it goes into the white boxes with the "thank you in 'chop suey' font," a discussion of soy sauce... It's just a fun, low-key, but informational book.

By the way -- the book opens with a story about a multi-state lottery that one day had far too many winners in far too many places. Suspecting fraud, the winning numbers were traced back to...yep. Fortunes from a Chinese fortune cookie company. Players in several states had played the numbers they found in their cookies, and it hit!

Last edited by Mellowicious; 09/19/08 03:56 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
Sometimes I trip over the most wonderful things...this time it's The Ginseng Hunter by Jeff Talarigo. It's his second book; the first was The Pearl Diver, which I haven't read. Yet.

This is a small book, in a number of ways. It's under 180 pages. There are only a few primary characters, and we don't get to know their names - they are the girl, the man with the truck, the guard. The only two characters who have names, share the same false name - and all the other women in their place of business - are all called Miss Wong.

The narrator is a ginseng hunter who lives on a small farm on the Tumen River. The river is the border between China and Kim Jung Il's North Korea. The story talks about the people who attempt to escape across the river to his side, to China, and about what happens on the Chinese side (do we hide these people? Do we feed them? If we feed them they will never leave. Did you hear, one family fed them, only to be shot in their beds. You can sell them back to the guards...or you can feed them, hide them.)

This is one of those books I want to own. I need to read it again for the writing, and again for the story. The writing is absolutely breathtaking. At times it reminded me of etching on glass, it was so clear and so perfect. One passage I had to read three times before going on.

Here is a selection from a page picked pretty much at random. The ginseng hunter has just bought a puppy, and in the description of the transaction the author tells us all we need to know about the local economy.

She closes the lid of the box, clasping the money tightly in her hands;she begins to fold the bills in half, and half again, doing so until they are in compact squares. She pays no attention to me as she lights a candle, tilting it over the small square of bills, not much larger than a coin.

The hot wax drips onto the bills, drop after drop until they have a double coating. While the wax cools, the old woman opens a bottle of water. She then places the waxed bills in her mouth and swallows them with the water. I don't know what to say; I turn my eyes to the dogs, one of which is mine.

I would write more but I have to go to the library for The Pearl Diver. If they don't have it, the bookstore is just a mile in the other direction.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am just reading a book called "Valley Boy" by Tom Perkins who was/is one of the leading venture capitalists the helped establish Silicon Valley.

It is quite an interesting read.

Here is one tidbit. Perkins said that his partner (Kleiner) was famous for his succinct pearls of wisdom. One of which was

" The more difficult the decision, the less it matters what you choose"

A very counter intuitive thought since many of us spend excessive time tomented by difficult decisions.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Ardy #76371 09/20/08 07:49 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Excellent review Mellow Julia. I want to read that book.

Ardy, I love that quote.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
veteran
veteran
Ardy, that's a comforting thought, as I have a tendency -- a very bad one, I've always thought - to make major decisions (after much anguished worry) almost on a whim. I think I've always felt I can never know all the details that affect the decision, and if I did know them, could never properly weigh them - so (with more worry than necessary) I tend to close my eyes and jump.

I'm sure I've been burned at some time or another, but not enough to make me really notice.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this as a way to make decisions; in fact I'm fairly sure I wouldn't. But the quote is certainly reassuring!

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 105 of 149 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard