WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 7 of 82 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 81 82
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Quote:
But the black civil rights movement was essentially born out of and driven by the black church; social justice and religion are inextricably intertwined in the black community. To many blacks, civil rights are grounded in Christianity -- not something separate and apart from religion but synonymous with it. To the extent that the issue of gay marriage seemed to be pitted against the church, it was going to be a losing battle in my community.

This is a statement of fact, not an apology. The fact that it states is that the Black churchgoers are no different than White churchgoers in their views about homosexuality, and it is presumptuous and condescending for White people to assume they "should" feel differently because they are Black.

But black church goers are different than white church goers on this issue. That is my point, Steve. White church goers did not vote 70-30 for Prop 8 but black church goers did, according to her analysis.

You have your interpretation of her piece, I have mine.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
In all the post-election commentary about California's passage of Proposition 8, perhaps none was more offensive and wrong than Jasmyne A. Cannick's Times Op-Ed article, "No-on-8’s white bias.”

Cannick's piece raises important questions about the politically correct double standards that govern debate of gay rights issues. When white evangelical Christians (or Mormons, for that matter) attack gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender people, the response is loud and harsh: Bigots! Homophobes! Haters! But when black religious leaders attack gays, which is a regular occurrence in many churches, the response is muted because, well, it's a cultural thing and we white people just wouldn't understand. Bigotry is bigotry, whether emanating from the pulpits of white churches or black ones.

Cannick writes, "But even I wasn't inspired to encourage black people to vote against the proposition. ... I don't see why the right to marry should be a priority for me or other black people. Gay marriage? Please. At a time when blacks are still more likely than whites to be pulled over for no reason, more likely to be unemployed than whites, more likely to live at or below the poverty line, I was too busy trying to get black people registered to vote, period; I wasn't about to focus my attention on what couldn't help but feel like a secondary issue."

The argument that many black voters are too preoccupied with more practical matters to think too much about gay marriage is not entirely illegitimate. But it's an argument for apathy, not a rational or legitimate justification for actively supporting discriminatory laws.
Los Angeles Times opinion

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by stereoman
Please, show me where she says "white gay men are wealthy". Please.
She wrote that "images" of gays are white and wealthy.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
White church goers did not vote 70-30 for Prop 8 but black church goers did, according to her analysis.
According to the exit polls, Protestants voted 65% YES on Prop 8, and Catholics voted 64% YES on Prop 8.

So what was your point, again?

But black church goers are different than white church goers on this issue. That is my point, Steve.
The difference is 5 percentage points, Phil. I interpret that as a not-pick. The similarity is much more significant than the difference. Those who reported "no religion" voted 90% NO.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bigotry is bigotry, whether emanating from the pulpits of white churches or black ones.
I agree with that. But you're not going to convince Black churchgoers that they should support gay marriage because they are Black. It would be better to try convincing them that they should support gay marriage because they are Christian.

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Steve, it strains credulity to suggest that some 5 million people who voted against proposition 8 are non church goers. I know we are a blue state, but c'mon.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In all the post-election commentary about California's passage of Proposition 8, perhaps none was more offensive and wrong than
But when black religious leaders attack gays, which is a regular occurrence in many churches, the response is muted because, well, it's a cultural thing and we white people just wouldn't understand.
I call "bull$hit"! How does the writer know that it's a regular occurrence? How about a few examples? And with them, examples of the "muted response"?

Straw man.

Oh, and speaking of straw men. Phil, how about those quotes from Cannick's essay supporting your claim of her "breathtaking" stereotyping?

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Steve, it strains credulity to suggest that some 5 million people who voted against proposition 8 are non church goers. I know we are a blue state, but c'mon.
Maybe a refresher course in statistics or logic would be helpful, Phil. If there were 100,000 non-church goers in California and 90% of them voted NO, how many votes would that be? Where, one might ask disingenuously, would the other 4,910,000 NO votes come from then? Why, they would come from the 35% of churchgoers who voted NO.

Any further questions on the subject of reading and interpreting data?

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by california rick
Originally Posted by stereoman
Please, show me where she says "white gay men are wealthy". Please.
She wrote that "images" of gays are white and wealthy.
She did? Please provide the quote.

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Steve, you can say what you will. The fact is 70 of blacks voted to discriminate against all gays. the fact is that Ms. Cannick wrote an article that amounted to a justification for that vote and blamed it on white gay men.

I don't know what your point is but that is what my point is. Yes white people also voted for the ban. So what? What is most striking is the claim by Cannick that it is not either a civil rights issue nor a priority.

That to me is a cop-out and hypocritical. Play the numbers game as you wish, bigotry comes in many colors, flavors and ways.

Page 7 of 82 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard