WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 8 of 82 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 81 82
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I don't know what your point is . . .
That's really a shame, Phil. I regret that I was unable to express myself more clearly.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
According to the exit polls, Protestants voted 65% YES on Prop 8, and Catholics voted 64% YES on Prop 8.

I see no support for that statement in the linked article.

Exit poll data showed seven in 10 black voters and more than half of Latino voters backed the ballot initiative, while whites and Asians were split.

A different analysis also would question your assertion:
A Times database analysis of Proposition 8 voting in Los Angeles County shows some clear geographic divides over the issue of banning gay marriage. The database team produced a variety of interactive maps designed to help understand Proposition 8 balloting in L.A. and across California. Here are some highlights:

WESTSIDE: Voters rejected Proposition 8 on the Westside by a large margin. About 66% of voters in Beverly Hills voted "no," as did 78% of Santa Monica voters. In Malibu, 69% voted no. Opposition was also heavy in the hillside corridor west of downtown from Echo Park and Silver Lake to Hollywood and West Hollywood, and also in the Mid-Wilshire, Fairfax and Beverly Center areas. That strong opposition to the measure jumped over the Hollywood Hills to the affluent "south of Ventura Boulevard" crowd and even farther north.

SOLID SOUTH and EAST: Some of the strongest support for Proposition 8 was south of downtown L.A., among black and Latino voters. In Compton, 65% of voters said "yes," as did 60% in Huntington Park, 61% in Inglewood and 63% in Lynwood. Similar levels of support were evident in predominantly Latino cities to the east, including Whittier, El Monte, Baldwin Park and Pomona.

ASIAN VOTE: Several cities with large Asian American populations -- Monterey Park, Alhambra, Temple City, San Gabriel, San Marino and Cerritos -- backed the measure. (Some of these cities also have sizable Latino populations.)

ALONG THE COAST: In the South Bay, the biggest opposition was along the coast. The beach cities -- Redondo, Manhattan and Hermosa -- all voted "no" by healthy margins. But on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, all four communities approved Proposition 8 (Palos Verdes Estates, however, did so by a thin margin).

FAR WEST VALLEY: The 101 Freeway corridor generally voted no: Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Hidden Hills and Westlake Village.

City with the largest "yes" percentage: INDUSTRY, 82% (but only 18 voters)

City with the largest "no" percentage: WEST HOLLYWOOD, 86%

Los Angeles Times

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
According to the exit polls, Protestants voted 65% YES on Prop 8, and Catholics voted 64% YES on Prop 8.

I see no support for that statement in the linked article.
Sorry, wrong link!

CNN exit poll data

Thanks for looking though.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by stereoman
In all the post-election commentary about California's passage of Proposition 8, perhaps none was more offensive and wrong than
But when black religious leaders attack gays, which is a regular occurrence in many churches, the response is muted because, well, it's a cultural thing and we white people just wouldn't understand.
I call "bull$hit"! How does the writer know that it's a regular occurrence? How about a few examples? And with them, examples of the "muted response"?

Straw man.

Oh, and speaking of straw men. Phil, how about those quotes from Cannick's essay supporting your claim of her "breathtaking" stereotyping?

Excuse me?
Maybe white gays could afford to be singularly focused, raising millions of dollars to fight for the luxury of same-sex marriage. But blacks were walking the streets of the projects and reaching out to small businesses, gang members, convicted felons and the spectrum of an entire community to ensure that we all were able to vote.

Not stereotyping? BS.

then how about this?
Likewise, holding the occasional town-hall meeting in Leimert Park -- the one part of the black community where they now feel safe thanks to gentrification -- to tell black people how to vote on something gay isn't effective outreach either.

Where we now feel safe? Damnit, she is saying that as though it is true. I repeat, I put my life on the line for her rights probably before she was born and I didn't wait for any damn gentrification.

There's nothing a white gay person can tell me when it comes to how I as a black lesbian should talk to my community about this issue. If and when I choose to, I know how to say what needs to be said. Many black gays just haven't been convinced that this movement for marriage is about anything more than the white gays who fund it (and who, we often find, are just as racist and clueless when it comes to blacks as they claim blacks are homophobic).

Really? But a black lesbian can tell me how to act and what to say?

Cmon Steve, this woman is a racist pure and simple. And yes, I have it from many African American friends of mine who are gay and lesbian that in the pulpits of the black churches of LA the sermons demonizing gays are frequent and commonplace.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I looked further for the analysis of votes and found this:
CNN

there is one category that supports your 65% claim but other categories seem to contradict that. It seems that more important was how often one went to church.

Nevertheless, everyone seems to agree on the vote in the black community. Ms. Cannick attempts to explain that, but to me it completely misses the point I tried to make to start this thread.

How can an oppressed people have a justification for passing on their oppression. I think Bayard Rustin, quoted above, said it best.

K
K
How to convince church-goers that gays should have equal rights Lesson 1:

DELTA TWP. - A radical gay rights group is claiming responsibility for a protest Sunday at Mount Hope Church in Delta Township.

Protesters who entered the Creyts Road church along with worshippers surprised the congregation when they stood up during the service, threw fliers at churchgoers and shouted slogans such as "It's OK to be gay," and "Jesus was a homo," according to David Williams, communications director at the church. His father, Dave Williams, is the church's longtime pastor. He was not preaching at the church Sunday.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20081112/NEWS01/811120369

I personally think that groups like this one, mayor of SF and the lesbian couple inviting the 1st graders to their ceremony are doing a good enough job turning people against gay marriage than black people... but hell, what do I know.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am not gay and I am not black, but I am offended by Cannick's lack of logical acumen and her apologia for her inaction and the homophobia of her community. And yes, I read both articles, and I still think that her position is ignorant and ill-informed. She is just too self-absorbed to understand other points of view. That's my opinion. Yes, there should have been a different approach by the "no" campaign, but her language is inflammatory and racist - which should be shocking, but it consistent with a certain portion of the "activist" community - the "holier than thou" wing, of which I believe Ms. Cannick is an occupant. Specifically, lines like
To the extent that any of this matters to me enough to say anything, it will be to point out to my brothers and sisters that historically, neither white gays or white conservatives have ever been known to have the best interest of Blacks at heart.
What did change for me was my willingness to actively engage myself in a struggle that's been from the beginning, and continues to be, elitist. Plainly put, the gay marriage struggle is the perfect example of white gay America’s “superiority complex” in action. And before you scream that I’m a racist, I’d encourage you to step outside of your whiteness for a moment and take a look at the marriage movement through someone else’s eyes.
Enter the Black same-gender-loving community. Our worth in the gay civil rights movement, whether you choose to believe it or not, amounts to our willingness to be used in photo ops and carry their message of marriage to Blacks, putting aside all other issues. That’s it.
She seems to be carrying a lot of resentment for someone who wasn't alive during the civil rights movement. Jasmyne Cannick Blog It's not that she supported Prop 8, but her apologia is offensive, because it is based upon an attitude of "victimhood." It harks back to a different, older kind of activist attitude. I have read more of her than just these articles, and within her "community" she is more outspoken, but carries that insularity like a badge of honor. She is more about "blackness" than anything.

But more significantly, she is young and uninterested in marriage. That is a division within the gay community that is probably more profound than the black-gay divide. There are those that see marriage as the ultimate and singular issue, and those that are more incremental in their approach to gay civil rights. That is really the area she is trying - in my opinion inartfully - to address. But poorly formed arguments can be just as destructive as ignorance, which is what my original point was intended to convey.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#86824 11/12/08 08:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maybe citing to her blog will be illuminating:
I mean really, at the end of the day how does the fact that two people want to get married affect your life? Is it taking food off your table and out of your mouth? The roof over your head? Are gays getting married the reason why Black men are being incarcerated at a rate higher than any other race? Is it the reason why more Black kids are dropping out of school and picking up guns? Is it the reason why you are unemployed and without healthcare? No, I didn’t think so.

Once again, we allowed others to come into our community and dictate to us what our agenda should be. We allowed white conservatives to purchase our pulpits and then dutifully volunteered to spread their message of divide and conquer. But what’s really baffling and equally troubling to me is that Black people collaborated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) who for nearly 150 years through the Mormon Church taught that all Blacks were cursed, uncouth, uncomely, wild, and ‘seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind’…among other things.

Like with the Minutemen and the issue of immigration, Black people once again made alliances with people who on any other issue we are usually standing opposite…polar opposite. Simply put—we were used.
Dear Black Dear Black California…About Your Support of Prop. 8. She was willing to make this argument in her "community" but not in the L.A. Times, and says so. It stumps me.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#86832 11/12/08 09:30 PM
veteran
veteran
I was just looking around, and found this on five thirty eight.com, which I think I've seen quoted at RR in the past.

At the end of the day, Prop 8's passage was more a generational matter than a racial one. If nobody over the age of 65 had voted, Prop 8 would have failed by a point or two. It appears that the generational splits may be larger within minority communities than among whites, although the data on this is sketchy.

The good news for supporters of marriage equity is that -- and there's no polite way to put this -- the older voters aren't going to be around for all that much longer, and they'll gradually be cycled out and replaced by younger voters who grew up in a more tolerant era. Everyone knew going in that Prop 8 was going to be a photo finish -- California might be just progressive enough and 2008 might be just soon enough for the voters to affirm marriage equity. Or, it might fall just short, which is what happened. But two or four or six or eight years from now, it will get across the finish line.

I realize that the last line is more food for the fire than it is a consolation - but what about their main point, that the problem is generational, and not racial? The artical says young Latinos voted against, 59-41 (no numbers available for a corresponding group of black voters.)

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think that assessment is sound. The same is true even in the military: a majority of Soldiers under 25 don't care about the sexual orientation of other Soldiers. Those over 25 reach the opposite conclusion.

Page 8 of 82 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard