WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,530 my own book page
5,016,583 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,741 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 9 of 82 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 81 82
#86840 11/12/08 11:24 PM
BC Offline
veteran
veteran
helluva big hill to overcome, but the battle goes on, Phil.

Gay rights protesters disrupt Sunday service

DELTA TWP. - A radical gay rights group is claiming responsibility for a protest Sunday at Mount Hope Church in Delta Township.
Protesters who entered the Creyts Road church along with worshippers surprised the congregation when they stood up during the service, threw fliers at churchgoers and shouted slogans such as "It's OK to be gay," and "Jesus was a homo," according to David Williams, communications director at the church. His father, Dave Williams, is the church's longtime pastor. He was not preaching at the church Sunday.
Another group of protesters demonstrated outside the church at the same time as the indoor protest.
The Eaton County Sheriff's Department responded to the scene Sunday but no arrests were made.
In a released statement, David Williams said churchgoers were unclear as to the purpose of the demonstration.
crazy
A Lansing group affiliated with a radical gay organization known as Bash Back, formed to protest the Republican and Democratic national conventions earlier this year, put out a call on the Internet on Oct. 7 for activists to come to a "radical queer convergence" in Lansing on Nov. 7-9.
A posting on its MySpace page declared the convergence a "fierce success."

More Brilliance from our citizens...

God will punish U.S.
The majority of the United States voted for change by electing Sens. Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Did anyone happen to think just how many change possibilities there are? Almost everyone seems to think that any change would be better for this country. I contend there are as many bad change possibilities as good.
This country, once again, has turned its back on God by electing a man who does not oppose abortion, same-sex unions and only heaven knows what else. In other words, he lacks many Christian principles.
Please pray to our Christian God and ask his forgiveness for what we have done. Please pray we shall not feel God's wrath.
I feel however, it just might be imminent.
Kevin Hinkley
Rives Junction

Bible condemned it
Kevin Mangan (Letters, Nov. 7) parrots the mindless homosexual mantra when he writes, "Jesus never said one ill word against gay people." Magnan believes that by speaking these magical words, all true Christian opposition to homosexuality will disappear.
Well, "Jesus never said one ill word against" abortion, infanticide, rape, incest, bestiality, pedophilia, slavery, bisexuality, sexually transmitted diseases, armed robbery sadomasochism and much more. Are we then to believe that we should be free to do these things?
God's word is more than the words of Jesus in red. Nowhere in the Bible is there one positive word about homosexuality. In fact, it is condemned as an abomination from Genesis to Revelation. Please read it.
Magnan, in an argument from ignorance, tells us that the lack of evidence agasint a proposition should be used to argue for its truth. An argument from silence should remain silent.
William Landers Gutel
Lansing

- - - Bob

kap17 #86845 11/13/08 12:03 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I personally think that groups like this one, mayor of SF and the lesbian couple inviting the 1st graders to their ceremony are doing a good enough job turning people against gay marriage than black people... but hell, what do I know.

I find the behavior of this particular group despicable. There are nuts in every community. But it is certainly easier to paint all by the actions of a few.

The mayor of SF stood up and said EXACTLY what needed to be said. He said homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals - the idea that that would drive people away from supporting gay marriage does not reflect poorly on homosexuals but rather the people who would be driven away at the thought of equality.

The lesbian couple did NOT invite the children from the charter school to their wedding. It was a surprise for their teacher. The children and their parents arranged the whole thing (there were even two children unable to attend because their parents did not sign the permission slip). The "Yes on 8" campaign then used the video of these children at the wedding - repeatedly - AGAINST THE PARENTS WISHES for their smear campaign full of lies.

Again, if the images of happy children celebrating their teacher getting married turns people against gays having equal rights, the problem is from the people already predisposed to think of gays as lesser citizens.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #86847 11/13/08 12:17 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by Jeffro
I personally think that groups like this one, mayor of SF and the lesbian couple inviting the 1st graders to their ceremony are doing a good enough job turning people against gay marriage than black people... but hell, what do I know.

I find the behavior of this particular group despicable. There are nuts in every community. But it is certainly easier to paint all by the actions of a few.

The mayor of SF stood up and said EXACTLY what needed to be said. He said homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals - the idea that that would drive people away from supporting gay marriage does not reflect poorly on homosexuals but rather the people who would be driven away at the thought of equality.

The lesbian couple did NOT invite the children from the charter school to their wedding. It was a surprise for their teacher. The children and their parents arranged the whole thing (there were even two children unable to attend because their parents did not sign the permission slip). The "Yes on 8" campaign then used the video of these children at the wedding - repeatedly - AGAINST THE PARENTS WISHES for their smear campaign full of lies.

Again, if the images of happy children celebrating their teacher getting married turns people against gays having equal rights, the problem is from the people already predisposed to think of gays as lesser citizens.

Jeffro,

I'm sure that you know that it's not what you do but how you do it. For 3 months I watched the same video clip of SF mayor saying "Wether you like it or not" to gay marriage, something that doesn't play well. I'm sure his heart was in the right place, but his words did a lot of damage.

As far as the school class, the supporters of "no on 8" (which I'm sure that most of them that organized the thing were) should have been a bit brighter and not make it an organized thing as a class because anyone could have seen the "yes on 8" supporters use it.

I see it that if you give people the right to vote on an issue, they have to vote how they see fit according to their values. If this is a civil rights issue the courts should deal with it. Why didn't the "no on 8" people manage to get the measure off the balot if it is unconstitutional?

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #86854 11/13/08 12:55 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I see it that if you give people the right to vote on an issue, they have to vote how they see fit according to their values. If this is a civil rights issue the courts should deal with it. Why didn't the "no on 8" people manage to get the measure off the balot if it is unconstitutional?

The Court refused to hear the issue prior to the election which is the right decision. The court always refuses to decide cases of this sort prior to a vote.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
kap17 #86855 11/13/08 12:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Kap, they tried. The California Supreme Court dismissed the petitions as premature. In order to have a "Case in controversy" there has to be an existing harm. Until Prop 8 passed, there was no harm. Now that it exists, I suspect that the Cal Supreme Court will strike it down as a "revision" not an amendment to the Constitution. Legally, I think the No on 8 people are correct. Unfortunately, it will once again create the perception that "activist courts" are "forcing" the issue onto the populace, when in fact it is the activist religionists that are doing so.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
kap17 #86856 11/13/08 12:58 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kap17
As far as the school class, the supporters of "no on 8" (which I'm sure that most of them that organized the thing were) should have been a bit brighter and not make it an organized thing as a class because anyone could have seen the "yes on 8" supporters use it.
I disagree, Kap.
My guess is these parents think it is important for their children to grow up knowing that the union between two people in love regardless of their gender is normal and beautiful.

I understand what you're saying...that they then had it used against them but I still think the bigger lesson for their children was more important.
I think the "no on 8" folks need to pull the facts out on this and use it back at them. Big time.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
kap17 #86857 11/13/08 12:59 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I'm sure that you know that it's not what you do but how you do it. For 3 months I watched the same video clip of SF mayor saying "Wether you like it or not" to gay marriage, something that doesn't play well. I'm sure his heart was in the right place, but his words did a lot of damage.

I do know that it is how you do it, and I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but we are not discussing an opinion, we are discussing taking away the rights of a segment of the population. Trust me, gay marriage is not the issue I ever thought I would be so outraged about, but from where I stand "Like it or not" resonated with me.

As for the teacher. The timing was unfortunate, but you know what? I believe we had the right to get married when that occurred. It was legal and had that teacher waited until after the vote, I am sure she knew she may not get the chance again. The children and their parents wanted to express their appreciation and love for their teacher and this was her "under the wire" wedding day. Who called the press? Don't know. Could it have been "Yes on 8" people? Again, I don't know. If you spend your life - scratch that, if I spend my life wondering if something I do could be used against me by homophobes, I wouldn't ever leave my apartment. I prefer to live my life.

I am really not comfortable with the idea of playing nice and watching my step to be considered an equal member of society. I'm 46 years old and, quite frankly, it's getting really old.

Prop 22 was put on the ballot years ago, voted on and it wasn't until years later that the Supremes said it was unconstitutional. I honestly don't know why Prop 8 couldn't be withdrawn from the ballot, perhaps Phil could help me out since I've had the very same question. We managed to get the language changed from "protection of marriage" to "elimination of rights" but clearly that wasn't strong enough.

Maybe it should have said "Gays will officially be declared second class citizens". But judging from what I've heard lately, that may have won in a landslide.

Jeffro #86859 11/13/08 01:09 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I am frankly very tired of people, either gay or straight, telling us how we should have handled this issue. If you did not participate before election day by contributing or making calls or at least sending emails or walking precincts, I say you had your chance and should now just shut the f up.

Sorry it is said so bluntly, but I am pissed. It is easy to tell us what we should do, in fact it has been going on for many years. We hear it from every corner.

I am with Jeffro on this -- I will not worry how you take what I do, it is my/our life. If you don't like it, turn your head and go live your own.

Do I want your support for my/our rights? You are damned right I do, but that is your duty as a citizen, not a gift for my/our good behavior.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
olyve #86861 11/13/08 01:14 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by olyve
I disagree, Kap.
My guess is these parents think it is important for their children to grow up knowing that the union between two people in love regardless of their gender is normal and beautiful.

I understand what you're saying...that they then had it used against them but I still think the bigger lesson for their children was more important.
I think the "no on 8" folks need to pull the facts out on this and use it back at them. Big time.

"Yes on 8" used this unfortunately timed event for all it was worth. The 'Yes on 8' commercials were flooded with children saying things like "I learned that a man can marry another man The reality is, if same sex marriage is legal (as it was when the ads were running)then a man CAN marry another man. Is it better to lie to the kiddies? This same little girl then says "one day I can marry a Princess" so something tells me that this parent is going to have this conversation somewhere down the road anyway wink

Ironically, these ads prompted two children of women I work with to ask their parents about gay marriage - in both cases, the children were confused about why anyone would try to stop people from getting married. And in one case, "why would we even vote for that?"

From the mouths of babes, eh? Honestly, kids don't care. I have six nieces and nephews and none of them give a damn about who I date as long as they get their Christmas money.

Jeffro #86862 11/13/08 01:18 AM
veteran
veteran
Jeffro, thanks for that... a couple of pages ago I posted a link that suggested the split in voters was not so much ethnic or racial, but generational. I'd be interested to hear from the California residents whether they think that's true, and if so, what might be done about it.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 9 of 82 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard