WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 11 of 82 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 81 82
#86985 11/13/08 05:42 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by stereoman
The media seem fixated on promulgating the myth that opposition to same-gender marriage is somehow connected to race, but the data show that it is connected to church attendance. And it happens that among Blacks and Hispanics, church attendance is much more prevalent than among Whites. Is that a racial characteristic? I think not.
I agree completely with this analysis, Steve, which, from my viewpoint, reinforces the unconstitutional quality of the effort - i.e., trying to promote a religious viewpoint in public policy. It does not matter that the unconstitutional act was promoted by the majority if it violates fundamental constitutional precepts.

NW, is there any way possible that the courts will not throw this out and it will actually go in effect?

Also, if it does get defeted in the courts, will this provide enough basis to make change at the federal level? Even if gay couples can mary and have benefits in California and a few other states, they are still not entitled to the federal rights of married couples.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #86987 11/13/08 06:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, I am afraid there is a significant possibility that the courts will not throw out Prop 8 and that it will go into effect. The problem is that this was a popular election, and even the courts are sensitive to throwing out popularly passed provisions. While I think that the law favors throwing it out, we are all aware that courts are not particularly finicky about following the law, sometimes. My confidence, however, is that the Chief Justice of the Cal Sup Ct is a conservative, but still wrote the opinion upholding the right of gays to marry in a well-reasoned decision. I would find it surprising that the majority would change simply because of the vote.

Now, if it is defeated in court, I think it would be incumbent upon the anti-Prop 8 folks to work to get something on the ballot confirming the court's decision. Crafting it will be tricky, but I think they need to "set the standard" before the opponents do. Something along the lines of "no civil rights currently granted by law may be abrogated by less than a super majority of the electorate." That could cement the right and make it highly unlikely to be overturned by a proposition.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#86991 11/13/08 06:44 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The state high Court had little hesitation overturning Prop 22, which was not a Constitutional amendment. In fact, that was how the right to marry got recognized. So I am more optimistic, NWP, although I recognize that the high temperature of the issue will make a threat of removing justices a real threat.

Work has already begun on a 2010 initiative to overturn Prop 8 and the strategies adopted by the No on 8 campaign are coming under heavy attack. Best of all, they are under attack from the kind of young, educated, internet-based grass roots effort that helped Obama get elected.

It is widely acknowledged that had the gay community organized and acted with as much fervor as we are post election, things probably would have been quite different. After all, we started out plus 8 in polls at the beginning.

Key to any new ballot measure will be a better on the ground campaign that reaches out to religious and minority voters. Another round of marches and demonstrations is scheduled around the nation for this Saturday, November 15. I really have not seen the gy community this active since the early days of the AIDS epidemic.

Most of all, we have to show all California voters that this is less a gay marriage issue than one of civil rights and equality. And in the process we will come even further "out of the closet."

I am very proud of our young gay activists right now.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The boycott effort against businesses whose owners backed Proposition 8 appears to be picking up steam.

Dozens of groups have sprouted up on Facebook.com urging its members to boycott businesses -- restaurants, jewelry stores, car-repair shops and more. Other activists have gone onto Yelp.com and other business rating sites, posting messages telling users which restaurants donated to the "Yes on 8" campaign.

There has also been talk of a boycott of the Cinemark movie chain, whose CEO gave money to "Yes on 8." This could have a major effect on the Sundance Film Festival, which uses the chain's theaters to show movies.
Los Angeles Times

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interestingly, I had been perusing the SFGate site, Proposition 8 contributions, for Washington State contributors, to consider my personal actions with regard to these organizations. Not much I can do organizationally (being a federal employee), but it will influence my personal decisions.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#87047 11/14/08 12:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why did gay-marriage ban pass? 'No' campaign was in turmoil

Key staff members – including the campaign manager – were replaced in the final weeks as polls turned dramatically against the No side. Their replacements say they found an effort that was too timid, slow to react, without a radio campaign or a strategy to reach out to African Americans, a group that ultimately supported the measure by more than 2 to 1.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

old hand
old hand
sorry if this already has been posted; looked for it but did so quickly:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-stein14-2008nov14,0,2377851.column

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't think anybody's posted that, logan. Interesting idea. It reminds me of a play I read several years ago - forgive my terrible memory for titles and authors, but Martha might well remember for me - the premise of which was that one day all the African Americans disappeared from a sleepy little Southern town.

My, my, my. What a disaster ensued!

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I love it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by loganrbt
sorry if this already has been posted; looked for it but did so quickly:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-stein14-2008nov14,0,2377851.column

day off work.... ok im willing to mince a little!

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

Page 11 of 82 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard