WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 18 of 82 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 81 82
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by california rick
Let the boycotts begin! Boy is Cinemark/Century/CeneArts pissed!! laugh

(Read the entire letter! LOL )

That letter was great Rick! The follow-up after they received the canned response was even better! I rarely go to Cinemark, but I have seen a few things there, I will not be seeing "Milk" or anything else there in the future. Thanks!

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #87836 11/20/08 07:48 AM
veteran
veteran
heres a handy chart for reference

[Linked Image from graphjam.files.wordpress.com]

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

veteran
veteran
Schlack, I was counting on you - I nearly posted that last night but thought "no, go to bed - Schlack will get it in the morning!"

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Damn, Jeffro - don't knock quickie divorces till you've needed one!

respect (And while I hope you get the [legal recognition of your] right, I also hope you never have the need.)

Not knocking it Julia, just get tired of the dreamy rhetoric from the defense of marriage types ("it's just not going to have the same kind of stability over time" really rubbed me the wrong way and cracked me up simultaneously).

I don't think I'm the marrying type. I also keep falling for straight guys - one of the guys at work has a gay mother - he is very open and funny. The day after Yes on 8 won, I told him he was going to have to marry his girlfriend now since it wasn't going to happen with us. He jokingly said "yeah, but we can still cuddle". Another young straight Latino guy I work with came up to me after the vote and said "I would like to apologize for my people". shocked

Like Phil (and Dylan) said "The times they are a-changing"

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #87944 11/20/08 11:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
An opinion with which I completely agree: California's same-sex marriage case affects all of us - Kermit Roosevelt, Christian Science Monitor
If a majority could overrule a judicial decision, the process would frequently be stopped by that majority vote. Judicial interventions against discrimination would just not succeed.

Regardless of where you stand on same-sex marriage, what's troubling for US citizens in the California case is the idea that an equality guarantee could not be effectively enforced against the will of a majority. The point of such a guarantee is precisely to protect minorities from discrimination at the hands of a majority.
. . . .
It makes sense to require supermajority support to overrule a judicial decision that grants rights to a minority. It shows that the judges were so out of step with society that they were probably wrong. But a simple majority does not show that, and the constitution would not afford meaningful protection if it could be overruled at the will of the majority.
. . . .
This is not an argument that the California court was correct. The battle for public opinion goes on. But letting the court's decision stand against the disapproval of a simple majority is not only sensible, it protects the minority rights of future generations.

Unpopular decisions are the price of constitutional rights.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#88628 11/25/08 04:29 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
A juvenile court judge in Miami on Monday allowed a gay couple to adopt two children who had been in their foster care, ruling that a Florida law banning gay couples from adopting is unconstitutional.

Miami Dade Circuit Judge Cindy Lederman ruled Tuesday there was "no rational basis" for prohibiting gays from adopting children.

The ruling will allow Martin Gill to adopt two young brothers he has cared for as foster children since 2004. Gill said when he and his partner agreed to act as foster parents to the boys, he expected it would be for just a few months.

As time went on and it became clear that the boys would not be returning to their family, Gill said he knew he'd have to challenge the state law.

Some other states have similar laws on the books, but Florida's law is the strictest in the nation banning adoptions because of sexual orientation.

In granting the adoption, Lederman said there is a consensus among researchers that there is no reason to prohibit adoptions by gay couples.

Lawyers representing Florida's Department of Children & Families said they will appeal the decision.

This is from NPR and is the entire article

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's lovely! I especially like this part:

Miami Dade Circuit Judge Cindy Lederman ruled Tuesday there was "no rational basis" for prohibiting gays from adopting children.
[Linked Image from geocities.com]

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
When voters in California, Florida and Arizona approved measures banning same-sex marriage last month, opponents lamented that the country appeared to be turning increasingly intolerant toward gay and lesbian rights. But the latest NEWSWEEK Poll finds growing public support for gay marriage and civil unions—and strong backing for the granting of certain rights associated with marriage, to same-sex couples. Click here to see full poll

Americans continue to find civil unions for gays and lesbians more palatable than full-fledged marriage. Fifty-five percent of respondents favored legally sanctioned unions or partnerships, while only 39 percent supported marriage rights. Both figures are notably higher than in 2004, when 40 percent backed the former and 33 percent approved of the latter. When it comes to according legal rights in specific areas to gays, the public is even more supportive. Seventy-four percent back inheritance rights for gay domestic partners (compared to 60 percent in 2004), 73 percent approve of extending health insurance and other employee benefits to them (compared to 60 percent in 2004), 67 percent favor granting them Social Security benefits (compared to 55 percent in 2004) and 86 percent support hospital visitation rights (a question that wasn't asked four years ago). In other areas, too, respondents appeared increasingly tolerant. Fifty-three percent favor gay adoption rights (8 points more than in 2004), and 66 percent believe gays should be able to serve openly in the military (6 points more than in 2004).

Newsweek

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Don't know if you've seen this yet, but this little video clip is marvelous! Too bad it didn't come out before the election, but it's still worth watching...and hilarious! laugh
Prop 8: The Musical

Larry
---------------------------
"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious. But the stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The biggest negative recurring point in the poll: People over 65 still think there is a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia. When it comes to both elementary school teachers and adoption, they are not so comfortable with gay people having responsibility over children.

Other than that, I find most of it very encouraging. It looks like we could even get a federal recognition of same-sex civil unions with all rights of heterosexual marriages. It's not

Bow Bow Bow Marriage Bow Bow Bow

but it's quite worthwhile persuing.

Page 18 of 82 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard