WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,530 my own book page
5,016,583 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,741 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 19 of 82 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 81 82
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Snargle
Don't know if you've seen this yet, but this little video clip is marvelous! Too bad it didn't come out before the election, but it's still worth watching...and hilarious! laugh
Prop 8: The Musical
I love it!
ROTFMOL

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
The biggest negative recurring point in the poll: People over 65 still think there is a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia. When it comes to both elementary school teachers and adoption, they are not so comfortable with gay people having responsibility over children.

Other than that, I find most of it very encouraging. It looks like we could even get a federal recognition of same-sex civil unions with all rights of heterosexual marriages. It's not

Bow Bow Bow Marriage Bow Bow Bow

but it's quite worthwhile persuing.

I hate to rain on the Bow parade but it is still not equality if they are called different things. In some ways, I wish I cared about the word marriage that is so staunchly defended, from a 'gettin'-ready-to-walk-down-the-aisle' standpoint. But, the fact remains that, if there are two different NAMES, they are not the same thing, it all boils down to "separate but equal". Go tell African Americans that "Jumping The Broom" is equality...

I would be okay if ALL marriages in our society were to be called "civil unions" and marriage was limited to the religious who so love the word. But, if you aren't calling it all the same thing, it ain't equal.

It is encouraging, but it would still be a different thing, wouldn't it? The government would still have to come up with new forms and stuff, right?

I suppose I should be happy and grateful for what I can get from my fellow citizens and humans from the Country of my birth, but, for some reason, I'm just not.

Last edited by Jeffro; 12/06/08 05:12 AM.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #89743 12/06/08 05:14 AM
veteran
veteran
Jeffro: I agree entirely.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks Julia! I just don't understand why "close" should be "good enough".

I meant to post (on the other thread) that you are welcome to come and watch movies at my place any time you are in SF.

In other news: I'm going out tonight to finish celebrating the Anniversary of the end of prohibition - I'm like a fish out of water in the bars alone these days - so wish me luck!

Jeff

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #89772 12/06/08 02:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Jeffro
I would be okay if ALL marriages in our society were to be called "civil unions" and marriage was limited to the religious who so love the word. But, if you aren't calling it all the same thing, it ain't equal.
Friend speaks my mind.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

veteran
veteran
me too

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
olyve #89885 12/07/08 07:26 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
THE attitude of white, liberal Hollywood toward African- American churches has long been one of almost participatory respect. Whether it’s Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard, or the Blind Boys of Alabama on the iPod, or a serious — reverential — mention of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference over dinner, the understanding is clear: the black church is a foundational institution in the history of the civil rights struggle, and its music (although it makes reference to Jesus Christ as a personal savior) is smoking hot.

It was only recently that the A-list discovered that this love is unrequited. Last month, Proposition 8 passed, making gay marriage illegal in California, and the demographic that lent insult to injury was the state’s African-American voters.
New York Times Op-ed

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by stereoman
Originally Posted by Jeffro
I would be Okay if ALL marriages in our society were to be called "civil unions" and marriage was limited to the religious who so love the word. But, if you aren't calling it all the same thing, it ain't equal.
Friend speaks my mind.
Me too

If one looks at all the loaded rhetoric around marriage... sacrament, scared, sanctity etc... the definitions of these words are all rooted in religious concepts. Once government involvement moves beyond a legal civil union agreement, the government becomes inextricably involved in enforcing religious beliefs.

If marriage is a sacred sacrament whose sanctity must be protected... that should happen within a religious, not a civil context. IMO the government is constitutionally prohibited from enforcing anyone's concept of the sanctity of marriage.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Ardy #89902 12/07/08 08:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It is encouraging, but it would still be a different thing, wouldn't it?

Sure it would be a different thing, but I'm just looking at the numbers reported in the poll: We have much more than a majority of people supporting equal rights on every single point...except the use of the term "marriage". I know it's silly, but the silly have made it their sacred cow. We already have same-sex civil unions in several states, and chasms have not opened up and swallowed the citizens, no massive homosexual team recruitment drives in their public schools, etc. So the use of the term "marriage" is really all the opponents have left, in those states.

But wait: Even in those states with civil unions, they really are NOT at all equal because of all the federal rules impacted by the lack of recognition of same-sex civil unions. For example, all the rules about income tax and social security.

So the poll numbers clearly show a path toward equality, and a very significant gain: All we can get right now may be seperate-but-equal, but there is enough support to make the two as equal as possible. Once we have same-sex civil unions in every state (and recognized as equivalent for all legal purposes by the federal government) for a decade or so, then the opponent's arguments just look sillier and sillier.

We shall overcome... but it won't happen tomorrow, even if the California Supreme Court invalidates Prop "Hate". It will be an uphill battle in most states, where ignorance and fear of "the other" are still more powerful than reason and acceptance of each person's right to live their own life their own way. But it's a fight worth fighting.

The fight over the use of the term "marriage" is the single battle the opponents want us to fight: Because it's the only battle they can win right now. (It is one of those powerful iconic words that invoke all sorts of deep emotions in a majority of American people when they hear it. You can't change that with a logical argument.) We can win every other battle, right now! So let's do it.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
The fight over the use of the term "marriage" is the single battle the opponents want us to fight: Because it's the only battle they can win right now. (It is one of those powerful iconic words that invoke all sorts of deep emotions in a majority of American people when they hear it. You can't change that with a logical argument.) We can win every other battle, right now! So let's do it.

I agree, but I cannot imagine that the Gay community will willingly sacrifice it's rights just so that all of the other battles can be won.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Page 19 of 82 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard