WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 21 of 82 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 81 82
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Some same-sex marriage supporters are urging people to "call in gay" Wednesday to show how much the country relies on gays and lesbians, but others question whether it's wise to encourage skipping work given the nation's economic distress.

Organizers of "Day Without a Gay" — scheduled to coincide with International Human Rights Day and modeled after similar work stoppages by Latino immigrants — also are encouraging people to perform volunteer work and refrain from spending money.
Call in gay

I will not work on Wednesday, but will not post my usual Wednesday opener here and it will feature gay rights.

Last edited by Phil Hoskins; 12/09/08 04:21 PM.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I'm on vacation on Wednesday - so I have the day off any how... laugh

Contrarian, extraordinaire

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
It's ironic that Mr. Boone would bring up India, since India has a strong tradition of discrimination in which the lower castes have been denied the rights of others, and all with the approval of the majority. The resulting carnage has killed countless numbers of people through the ages, some at the hands of the victims and some at the hands of their oppressors.

Which may be why so many are moving HERE.

Fine with me, as long as I can continue getting incredible lamb curry and garlic naan, I'm a happy boy.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Some same-sex marriage supporters are urging people to "call in gay" Wednesday to show how much the country relies on gays and lesbians, but others question whether it's wise to encourage skipping work given the nation's economic distress.

Organizers of "Day Without a Gay" — scheduled to coincide with International Human Rights Day and modeled after similar work stoppages by Latino immigrants — also are encouraging people to perform volunteer work and refrain from spending money.
Call in gay

I will not work on Wednesday, but will not post my usual Wednesday opener here and it will feature gay rights.

I and my fellow sexual jihadists from work discussed this. My office has a LARGE gay workforce. We have decided that it is really not right to punish a company that is very supportive of us and our rights. I know the idea is to show the impact if we weren't here, but we all felt very strongly that we are appreciated and respected already.

Though I am open to compelling reasons to take the day off... wink

I will talk to HR today and get their thoughts. They may actually be supportive of the idea.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #90123 12/09/08 02:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Jeffro
I and my fellow sexual jihadists . . .
ROFL

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Jeffro #90127 12/09/08 04:12 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Jeffro, no doubt creative minds can come up with ways to bring the spirit of the "day with no Gays" to the workplace even by showing up for work.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
All the religious rhetoric, it seems, has been on the side of the gay-marriage opponents, who use Scripture as the foundation for their objections.

The argument goes something like this statement, which the Rev. Richard A. Hunter, a United Methodist minister, gave to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in June: "The Bible and Jesus define marriage as between one man and one woman. The church cannot condone or bless same-sex marriages because this stands in opposition to Scripture and our tradition."

To which there are two obvious responses: First, while the Bible and Jesus say many important things about love and family, neither explicitly defines marriage as between one man and one woman. And second, as the examples above illustrate, no sensible modern person wants marriage—theirs or anyone else's —to look in its particulars anything like what the Bible describes. "Marriage" in America refers to two separate things, a religious institution and a civil one, though it is most often enacted as a messy conflation of the two. As a civil institution, marriage offers practical benefits to both partners: contractual rights having to do with taxes; insurance; the care and custody of children; visitation rights; and inheritance. As a religious institution, marriage offers something else: a commitment of both partners before God to love, honor and cherish each other—in sickness and in health, for richer and poorer—in accordance with God's will. In a religious marriage, two people promise to take care of each other, profoundly, the way they believe God cares for them. Biblical literalists will disagree, but the Bible is a living document, powerful for more than 2,000 years because its truths speak to us even as we change through history. In that light, Scripture gives us no good reason why gays and lesbians should not be (civilly and religiously) married—and a number of excellent reasons why they should.
Newsweek -- The Bible argues for gay marriage, not against

R
R
Largely a pile of nonsense that comes from distorting the subject and/or possessing little knowledge of what the Bible says on the subject. Sounds like something out of what some pastors call "the Bible in your head." sick

Life should be led like a cavalry charge - Theodore Roosevelt
Ron G. #90151 12/09/08 06:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ron,
I am not certain, was that the pro- or anti-gay marriage biblical argument you are saying is "a pile of nonsense"?

Personally, I don't give a fig what the Bible says about marriage, and neither should the courts. Marriage, as discussed in Prop 8 and any other legislation on the topic is a civic issue, and can only based upon the Constitution. As such, religion has no relevance whatsoever to the topic, although it is very difficult to convince any anti-gay zealot of that. It is difficult, indeed, to get many to understand at all that it is the Constitution and not the Bible that governs our civic behavior and processes as a nation. As far as personal beliefs and behaviors, you have the right to believe and behave as you choose, but you do not have the right to let your personal predilections dictate other people's fundamental rights as a citizen.

By the way, I would love to assist in the "day without a gay" campaign, but being on Active Duty and not being gay, I am not sure how I can do so without compromising my position or avoiding my responsibilities to the citizenry. I am supportive of anything that gets peoples' attention (so long as it is non-violent and civil), but personal participation is not an option. smile

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#90152 12/09/08 06:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just had a very amusing thought of all of the gay Pentagon employees (civilian or military) not showing up for work. Wouldn't that be a shocker! LOL

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Page 21 of 82 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard