WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 24 of 82 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 81 82
veteran
veteran
It always amazes me when Christians reach back to the old testament. surely the point of Jesus's ministry (sorry dont believe he was a god) was of a radical departure from OT teachings and practices.

Im quite sure Jesus would vomit up his innards if he saw what was being done in his name today and in the past.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Sky,. we discussed Ms. Paglia's commentary on another thread
I see... you discussed the commentary she wrote today ..last month? rolleyes And what about Mark Simpson?

Their points are well taken. Get govt out of religion (marriage) and religion out of civil unions. Let's ALL have civil unions.

SkyHawk
K
K
Originally Posted by SkyHawk
I see... you discussed the commentary she wrote today ..last month? rolleyes And what about Mark Simpson?

Their points are well taken. Get govt out of religion (marriage) and religion out of civil unions. Let's ALL have civil unions.

The gay community says that takes too much work and too much time. Go figure.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #90288 12/10/08 10:47 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kap17

Do we really? Fascinating.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #90296 12/11/08 12:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think, ultimately, and going back some way in the thread, that I agree with the sentiments that: 1) it is important to counteract the (in my view, misguided) "religious" basis for supporting Prop 8 (like) legislation in order to successfully pursue the "gay agenda" (you gayhadists, you wink ) plank of same-gender* unions, 2) religion should have no role whatsoever in civil legislation regarding marriage, or any other governmental proscriptions, and c) the primarily Christian-religiously-based arguments are based upon a narrow reading of (primarily) OT proscriptions, rather than the gist of Jesus' (NT) teachings. (I personally draw a bright line between the Gospels and subsequent opinions expressed by followers, because their personal agendas tended to obscure/blur the essence of Jesus' teachings. Seriously, what does Revelations really have to do with Jesus?)

* I prefer the term "same-gender" rather than "same-sex" because it refers to the status of the person rather than emphasizing "sex," which we all know is "icky" to Americans. wink

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 12/11/08 12:47 AM. Reason: add editorial comment

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Jeffro #90301 12/11/08 12:58 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by Jeffro

I'm only restating something state by the thread started in a different thread when the topic came up.

http://readerrant.capitolhillblue.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85450

Last edited by kap17; 12/11/08 12:59 AM.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #90303 12/11/08 01:15 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I am repeating myself I suppose, but I do not think the gay community is of a single mind about anything, much less marriage vs. civil unions. I don't think many people regardless of gender identity have solidified their thinking as between those two. Most opinions in my experience are reflexive and seldom thought through very well until someone engages them in this kind of discussion.

That being said, assuming for a moment your estimate is accurate, kap17, I say let us decide between the two after we are given the exact same benefits and burdens of marriage. Then we can really decide. Now it is a bit like an undernourished person being offered McDonalds and being denied filet mignon.

I support Sky's proposal to take the word away from everyone as far as the laws are concerned, with the proviso about equal benefits and burdens. I just can't see straight people being willing to give up the title.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
veteran
veteran
I get the point of the article, truly, I do, and maybe it's just the midwesterner in me -- but I'd rather see an article that describes the US without gays - including, perhaps, gay researchers, doctors, therapists, statesmen, professors, financiers, authors...

No disrespect to Hollywood but the contributions of gay people in the US reach so much further than Hollywood that it seems perhaps a disservice to limit the presentation to Hollywood.

It's good of course; I'd just like to see a broader version.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
kap17 #90316 12/11/08 02:10 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jeffro
[quote=Phil Hoskins]Sky,. we discussed Ms. Paglia's commentary on another thread

I'm only restating something state by the thread started in a different thread when the topic came up.

http://readerrant.capitolhillblue.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85450[/quote] But, Kap, you are still overlooking the fact that Proposition 8 was a broadside attack on gays. We HAD been granted marriage, why would we be out there fighting for changing everything to civil unions and reserving 'marriage' for religious institutions when equality had been legally declared?

This is an idea that has really only started gathering steam since Prop 8 passed. Perhaps someone should have thought of it earlier and perhaps someone did, but when you are attempting to get equality, the first course of action is to gain acceptance within an existing institution.

Don't you think that attempting to change everyone's 'marriage' to a civil union so that gays and straights would have equality would be met with as much or more objection if that were the first tactic? That seems like it would come off as some selfish minority trying to change everything to fit their needs. AND you can bet that the phrase 'redfining marriage' would be flying even more over that.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Page 24 of 82 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard