WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,493 my own book page
5,016,532 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,674 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 25 of 82 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 81 82
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I prefer the term "same-gender" rather than "same-sex" because it refers to the status of the person rather than emphasizing "sex," which we all know is "icky" to Americans.
In addition, many people "marry" without any intention of having sex. It constantly amazes me that people can raise the inability of same-gendered people to procreate as an argument against their marriage, when people well beyond childbearing age get married all the time just for companionship.

Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I am repeating myself I suppose, but I do not think the gay community is of a single mind about anything, much less marriage vs. civil unions.
What a surprise. Many White people are shocked to discover that not all Black people are of the same religion. Go figure.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
...I just can't see straight...
Neither can I nor can I think str8 Bow

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
I support Sky's proposal to take the word away from everyone as far as the laws are concerned, with the proviso about equal benefits and burdens. I just can't see straight people being willing to give up the title.
Maybe the idea will catch on. Just tonight in our local paper I read the following letter to the editor:
As one who has close personal relationships with many who are homosexual as well as many who are devoutly religious, the issue of California’s Proposition 8 is of close personal interest to me. At this point, I’m wondering why someone hasn’t proposed another solution.

Why not do away with marriage as a provision of the government? As far as I can tell, “marriage” is a religious and spiritual institution — out of the realm of what a state should find it necessary to regulate. A one-size-fits-all civil contract that provides for basic property, custody, and visitation rights would be a better suit for our society. This would also provide for couples who aren’t ready to tie the knot, but would benefit from such advantages.(Sorry, no link.. I typed it in.)
Seems like a great solution to me. One civil contract for everyone. Those who want the religious "marriage" ritual can go to their favorite flavor of church/mosque/temple/wat.

Sky

SkyHawk
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by SkyHawk
Seems like a great solution to me. One civil contract for everyone. Those who want the religious "marriage" ritual can go to their favorite flavor of church/mosque/temple/wat.
...then gays will legitimately be accused of "redefining" marriage.

I'm just sayin'...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Same-sex couples in California (and Massachusetts, etc.) have never really had all the benefits of marriage, because the US government has not recognised either their civil unions or their marriages for legal and tax purposes.

Getting the benefits of federal recognition of same-sex civil unions is worth much much more than a state letting you refer to it as "marriage". This is the huge inequality that must be addressed. And if enough state supreme courts find the same way as Massachusetts and California (for equal-right civil unions), then eventually an Obama-picked US Supreme Court will render a similar opinion.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Same-sex couples in California (and Massachusetts, etc.) have never really had all the benefits of marriage, because the US government has not recognised either their civil unions or their marriages for legal and tax purposes.

Getting the benefits of federal recognition of same-sex civil unions is worth much much more than a state letting you refer to it as "marriage". This is the huge inequality that must be addressed. And if enough state supreme courts find the same way as Massachusetts and California (for equal-right civil unions)...
P-I-A has a point. Hmm

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Yes, exactly the point I have been making all along. Glad he was able to put it in a way that you got it, Rick.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by stereoman
In addition, many people "marry" without any intention of having sex. It constantly amazes me that people can raise the inability of same-gendered people to procreate as an argument against their marriage, when people well beyond childbearing age get married all the time just for companionship.

My wife was a putative Catholic when we decided to marry and felt compelled by family considerations to marry within that faith. During the mandatory Pre-Cana class, the priest required me to swear (but not to prove; he was an enlightened priest) that I was not impotent, but noted that it was okay to be sterile. I had always thought that the Catholic doctrine mandated procreation and so was a bit surprised. Upon questioning the two issues, I was informed that the Church felt it essential that the marriage be consumated, whether offspring sprung forth or not. So at least way back then, the "icky" stuff was a requirement; the future Catholics was an anticipated touch of icing on the cake.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by SkyHawk
I support Sky's proposal to take the word away from everyone as far as the laws are concerned, with the proviso about equal benefits and burdens. I just can't see straight people being willing to give up the title.
Maybe the idea will catch on. Just tonight in our local paper I read the following letter to the editor:
As one who has close personal relationships with many who are homosexual as well as many who are devoutly religious, the issue of California’s Proposition 8 is of close personal interest to me. At this point, I’m wondering why someone hasn’t proposed another solution.

Why not do away with marriage as a provision of the government? As far as I can tell, “marriage” is a religious and spiritual institution — out of the realm of what a state should find it necessary to regulate. A one-size-fits-all civil contract that provides for basic property, custody, and visitation rights would be a better suit for our society. This would also provide for couples who aren’t ready to tie the knot, but would benefit from such advantages.(Sorry, no link.. I typed it in.)

Sky

I concur with this solution. Being a devout Lutheran, I could satisfy both the legal conditions and my religious convictions. Gays/Lesbians would have equality and parity. Works for me. ThumbsUp

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

old hand
old hand
A solution that might finally drive the schism in the Episcopal church into an outright canyon!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Page 25 of 82 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard