WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 26 of 82 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 81 82
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Top Evangelical Resigns After Backing Gay Unions
An outspoken and polarizing voice in conservative Christian politics resigned effective Thursday from the National Association of Evangelicals after a radio interview in which he voiced support for same-sex civil unions and said he is "shifting" on gay marriage.

The Rev. Richard Cizik's comments — made on a Dec. 2 "Fresh Air" broadcast on National Public Radio — triggered an uproar that led to his stepping down as NAE vice president of governmental affairs.

A fixture in Washington for nearly three decades, Cizik has played a key role in bringing evangelical Christian concerns to the political table. But in recent years, he earned enemies in the movement for pushing to broaden the evangelical agenda. His strongest focus was on "creation care," arguing that evangelicals have a biblical responsibility to the environment that includes combatting global warming.
I suppose the headline could have been "Don't tell" policy alive and well in Evangelical circles...

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by loganrbt
A solution that might finally drive the schism in the Episcopal church into an outright canyon!

Why? It doesn't preclude any religion from performing a same-sex marriage. That would still be up to the faith itself.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#90477 12/12/08 03:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Colin Powell Reiterates Support for Review of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
In an interview with CNN Thursday, former secretary of State and retired general Colin Powell once again reiterated his support for a military review of the U.S. “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, which prohibits gays and lesbians from serving openly in the armed forces.

"We should be reevaluating it," he said.

General Powell's evolving views on "don't ask, don't tell" are the source of much interest on Capitol Hill precisely because people think he holds so much sway inside the Beltway. However, his comments to CNN do not represent a change of position. In fact, they parallel those he made at the Aspen Institute in July, when he endorsed reviewing the policy but stopped short of calling for its repeal.

"I agree with [former] Senator [Sam] Nunn -- you can review it, but I'm not prepared to say that you should do away with it until you have talked to the people who have to execute it and implement it -- the armed forces leadership," Powell said while being interviewed by Walter Isaacson. Nunn chaired the Senate Armed Services Committee when the policy was adopted in 1993.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Yes, exactly the point I have been making all along. Glad he was able to put it in a way that you got it, Rick.
Not to point fingers (Kap17), but it is other Ranters who feel that gays have legimate equal rights this very moment.

P-I-A has succinctly put into perspective of how and why gays do not have the same benefits as straights at the moment.

As for me, I've just gone along for the ride and truly did not connect the dots as P-I-A has done.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I could perhaps have posted the last two articles as separate posts, but I felt that they were both indications that the debate on the topic is swinging (pardon the pun) toward social acceptance of homosexuality in our society.

K
K
Originally Posted by california rick
Yes, exactly the point I have been making all along. Glad he was able to put it in a way that you got it, Rick.
Not to point fingers (Kap17), but it is other Ranters who feel that gays have legimate equal rights this very moment.

P-I-A has succinctly put into perspective of how and why gays do not have the same benefits as straights at the moment.

As for me, I've just gone along for the ride and truly did not connect the dots as P-I-A has done.

I don't think that gays have equal right right now. But due to my personal beliefs I cannot support "marriage for everyone" 100%. I do support civil unions with equal federal/local rights for everyone and marriage up to the church.

If you take that as not supporting the "gay cause" so be it. I don't need to be sorry for my personal beliefs.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #90540 12/12/08 03:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for speaking up, kap. When someone makes an unfounded assumptions about what someone else believes, the most helpful thing the someone else can do is set the record straight.

Oops, I said "straight". Pardon the expression. wink

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think, STeve, that the record is most assuredly "straight" and that is the problem. wink

kap17 #90558 12/12/08 04:48 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by kap17
Originally Posted by california rick

I don't think that gays have equal right right now. But due to my personal beliefs I cannot support "marriage for everyone" 100%. I do support civil unions with equal federal/local rights for everyone and marriage up to the church.

If you take that as not supporting the "gay cause" so be it. I don't need to be sorry for my personal beliefs.

Of course you need never be sorry for your personal beliefs. I just don't know why you think your personal beliefs trump equal rights regarding marriage.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
K
K
Of course you need never be sorry for your personal beliefs. I just don't know why you think your personal beliefs trump equal rights regarding marriage.

"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"
- George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 10

I'm not the one out there that is trying to pass laws and propositions. But when I am asked to vote and to voice my opinion I will do so.

It is the job of the Courts to make sure that discrimination doesn't take place and the California Courts should have never allowed Prop 8 on the ballots.

My job is to watch out for myself, my family and my friends. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited by kap17; 12/12/08 05:10 PM.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
Page 26 of 82 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard