WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 30 of 82 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 81 82
E
stranger
stranger
E
I like Rolling Stone's take on this issue. Their basic view is that the "No on 8" was outgunned, plain and simple. The "yes on 8" people had more money, better advertising, and more man-power. Ironically, the "Yes on 8" group were the ones who took the ground game strategy to heart:
Throughout the summer, Yes on 8 deployed an army of more than 100,000 volunteers to knock on doors in every zip code in the state.
The Yes on 8 campaign's get-out-the-vote effort was equally prodigious. The weekend before the vote, Schubert's religious volunteers once again went door to door, speaking to supporters and directing them to the right precinct locations. "On Election Day," he says, "we had 100,000 people — five per precinct — checking voter rolls and contacting supporters who hadn't showed up to vote."

So, yes, get better advertising, but also get people out and involved in the campaign early on. (Hey, I read about all the protests. Surely they could have volunteered to help before the vote, if only the campaign organizers had asked.)

erinys #91088 12/16/08 01:27 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by erinys
So, yes, get better advertising, but also get people out and involved in the campaign early on.

erinys
I agree with all you said. And also find it more than a bit sad that some of our citizens could wake up and find their rights stripped for the lack of better advertising

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Ardy #91089 12/16/08 01:34 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
What this will take is straight people talking to their friends about human rights and the separation of church and state. You folks are more likely to have access to those who are willing to listen than most gay people are. You have their trust and confidence so when you say something, it may get listened to.

The civil rights movement may have been led and inspired by Rev. King and other black men and women, but it gained power when whites joined them and used their influence and power.

I am tired of being told how we should do this or that. If you truly believe this is a human rights issue it is just as much your issue as mine.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I am tired of being told how we should do this or that. If you truly believe this is a human rights issue it is just as much your issue as mine.
I hadn't noticed that folks were doing that. All along, I've felt it was a failure of the opponents of Prop 8, whether gay or straight. Has there been much opinion expressed that it was a failure of "y'all gay people"?

Because what you say about the Civil Rights movement is totally an appropriate analogy. Whenever discrimination occurs, it is ultimately up to the dominant groups to give in to the rights of the other, simply and entirely because they have the power to withhold them.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by stereoman
Has there been much opinion expressed that it was a failure of "y'all gay people"?
Jeffro and I have expressed our opinions that the failure lies with gays who were the primary opposition to Prop 8.

(...but then again, Jeffro and I are close in age wink )

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
To blame others for not force-feeding you knowledge is both unfair and childish - particularly when it is through their efforts that you live as freely as you do today.
Don't you advocate Native American "story" telling? Is it not the repsonsibilty of older gays to pass on to younger gays our history and what works and what doesn't work politically?

Why does the wheel need to be reinvented every generation - only to have older gays then say: Been there, done that, girlfriend (then give a "Z" snap).

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
What this will take is straight people talking to their friends about human rights and the separation of church and state. You folks are more likely to have access to those who are willing to listen than most gay people are. You have their trust and confidence so when you say something, it may get listened to.

The civil rights movement may have been led and inspired by Rev. King and other black men and women, but it gained power when whites joined them and used their influence and power.
Since, presumably, heterosexuality is the predominant condition, say, 90% of the population (rough guess, that), it follows that it will take a majority of the majority to win this issue. I would be willing to bet that if the vote were held today, the result would be different. I, for one, am a strong, vocal, and insistent advocate for full equality, including full equality based upon sexual orientation. I am also a strong proponent of separation of church and state. Unfortunately, I am not a California voter.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#91100 12/16/08 02:22 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
NWP, I appreciate your stance and that of virtually everyone here. As you say, however, it will take a healthy portion of the 90% to speak out and vote for equality.

I did not mean to imply that you or anyone here should do anything. But I do say that it will take heteros being outspoken and probably a bit uncomfortable by raising the issue even when it doesn't seem natural.

Somehow my parents managed to imbue that principle in me as a child. I take it for many here the same happened or that you have learned and adopted that stance about your role as a responsible citizen.

I just want to shoot down the implied notion of some that this is an issue of concern exclusively or even primarily to gays and lesbians. It is not. It is an issue for all. All.

veteran
veteran
Truthfully, if the straight people on this site thought it was only a gay issue, do you think the discussion would have been so active, and so supportive, for so many pages?

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I think I already indicated my answer, Mellow. And I would bet many here also speak out to the world around you. I accuse no one of anything. I appreciate everyone who has voiced support.

Page 30 of 82 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard