WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 34 of 82 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 81 82
E
stranger
stranger
E
offtopicOne slightly off topic point to Rick's view on access to college education. Loans aren't hard to get just for mortgages and Big Three Auto companies grin My girlfriend has a kid in college right now. The loan was fairly easy to get a year ago, but even then the credit was tightening. I don't have much hope that it won't tighten more this year and next. And even without being able to add my income to the various forms (hey, MO voted a gay marriage ban into our state constitution in 2004), my girlfriend still makes too much for many grant programs.

Back on topic, I believe gay issues in general are gaining traction and will continue to. I remember back in the nineties when the Hawaiian gay-marriage/union cases hit my radar. At that time there were many(maybe even a majority) in the gay community who weren't convinced that the battle for gay-marriage was worth fighting. Even as recently as 2004, polls indicated a narrow nationwide support for gay marriage bans. How many swing-states had amendments on the ballots that year? I know it was more than just Missouri - and most of them passed, if I recall correctly, by significant margins. So, we have gone from ambivalence in the community and majorities of "straights" opposing gay marriage to an increasing acceptance of gay marriage and even more acceptance of civil-unions. It's happening, slowly maybe, but it is happening.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This just in:
The Rev. Richard Cizik, vice president for governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals, said in a Dec. 2 National Public Radio interview that his outlook on same-sex marriage was "shifting, I have to admit. In other words, I would willingly say that I believe in civil unions."
How did this happen?

offtopic
Originally Posted by california rick
there's no excuse not to obtain a higher education - unless one is dumb and get someone preggers and then have to support three people on a minimum wage job or stupid to rob some place or senseless enough to murder someone and end up in prison.
You sound like my Dad, rick. Who, BTW I spoke to on the phone last night (alert the media!). He has no clue what life is like for people beneath him because he refuses to look down. They are, after all, beneath him.

I'll never forget sitting in the emergency room at two in the morning with him, the night my brother got his back broken in a car accident. Bro was getting tractioned, I was virtually in shock, and Dad was carrying on a tirade about fat people. "Look at that woman" he said loudly enough for that woman to hear. "It's disGUSSting. There's no excuse for that kind of fatness."

Some people are indeed beneath you. They're not as smart as you, not as industrious, not as good-looking, they don't speak as well . . . Though you may not immediately think of it this way - these are all handicaps. They will never succeed if we insist on setting the bar insurmountably high. We have to lower our expectations.

If you're having trouble figuring out how they fit into your world, then surely you can understand why so many str8 people have trouble figuring out how you fit into theirs.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jeffro
Rick, you mentioned that you thought RR is a bubble. I don't completely agree with that. If you read as many different sites as I do you will find many of the same discussions and the same ideas expressed.
So why was Prop 8 voted in then?

Do you think the population identified in the Mercury News study has time to spend all day discussing hoity-toity ideas on the 'Net?

No. They're working their two, three jobs to earn less than $40K a year and raising their four, five, six children because "biological events happen."

...and when they finally put the kids to bed and the sit on their porches and discuss with their like neighbors the events of the day - they all agree that homosexuality is deviant and to vote Yes on Prop 8 - plus their pastors/fathers told them to...

Yikes Rick. The anger can be a positive, but the bashing isn't. The fact that Prop 8 passed does not negate the fact that gays are much more accepted in society than they ever have been. Let's remember that we are a minority within every other minority. We come in every age, color, shape and size and even within our own racial groups we are the minority (we are the minorities minority). I think we have explored nearly every possible reason why Prop 8 passed. I'm not sure that picking poor, uneducated, fertile straight people as the next enemy is the the best choice of target for our anger.

The real enemies are the leaders of the groups that get their followers to support their ideas AND the ignorance that allows that to happen. It seems that most everyone now knows or is related to an openly gay person. I can just as easily see the people in your example sitting on the porch talking about how it just seems wrong to tell Uncle Ray or Mike and Tom down the block (the ones with the beautiful lawn) that they can't get married.

There are still closeted gays out there too. They may have secretly voted 'no' in the booth but the reason they are closeted is that they likely know people who hate gays and I'm sure their conversations with those people never include supporting equal rights. I have already mentioned the gay guy I met election night who voted "yes". We won't really understand the reason until we actually talk to the people who voted yes, but, like I said, I'm not hearing anyone admit that they did.

This may be heresy but I also think that some members of the gay community have started to believe the glowing statistics about us. Not all of us are more educated, nice, creative, rich and loving people. So, even if everyone knows someone who is gay, they don't necessarily like or value them, in fact, the gay person they know may reinforce all the negatives they already feel toward the community.

Despite all the time and energy we've spent trying to pinpoint who to blame, I don't think we will ever have a cut and dried answer. One thing I'm realizing is that, the more time we spend pointing fingers, the less time we spend educating. The more time we spend digging into this, the more we discover that everyone could be perceived as our enemy. We've already pinned this on Mormons, Catholics, Blacks, Latinos, Asians and even some gays. We are not going to find THE ENEMY. We need to progess and work on making people understand why this was wrong - there are some we will never persuade, we have to accept that, and move on to the people who we can.

Having said all that, I stick to my guns that, in my experience, I, as an openly gay man, am much more accepted now than any other time in my life.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by stereoman
He has no clue what life is like for people beneath him because he refuses to look down. They are, after all, beneath him.

I'll never forget sitting in the emergency room at two in the morning with him, the night my brother got his back broken in a car accident. Bro was getting tractioned, I was virtually in shock, and Dad was carrying on a tirade about fat people. "Look at that woman" he said loudly enough for that woman to hear. "It's disGUSSting. There's no excuse for that kind of fatness."

Wow Steve, I think your dad is my cousin! We're related and didn't even know it!

Jeffro #91349 12/17/08 02:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Jeffro - had I a hat, I would doff it.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Jeffro #91360 12/17/08 03:18 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I'm going to juxtapose these two sentences and allow them to stand on their own merit:

The real enemies are the leaders of the groups that get their followers to support their ideas AND the ignorance that allows that to happen.

I'm not sure that picking poor, uneducated, fertile straight people as the next enemy is the the best choice of target for our anger.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's good rick. Now look at the difference between the two statements. In the first, the enemy is identified as a condition. In the second, we are admonished not to personify that condition.

It wasn't that long ago that sexual predation was endemic to Negroes. And, isn't AIDS the "Gay" disease?

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

journeyman
journeyman
I'm going to juxtapose these two sentences and allow them to stand on their own merit:

The real enemies are the leaders of the groups that get their followers to support their ideas AND the ignorance that allows that to happen.

I'm not sure that picking poor, uneducated, fertile straight people as the next enemy is the the best choice of target for our anger.

Uh, okay. Ignorance does not always equal uneducated, and I have always put the responsibility on the religious leaders. I have said it before and I will say it again, gay issues would not be the issues they are without religion. I,am, in fact, pointing my finger at religion and the leaders as a root cause (I don't think that makes my statements contradictory or hypocritical). Religion is a good target for the anger, but the followers are not a good place to attack. We will likely not change the opinion of the preachers who have made bazillions of dollars by denigrating gay people - I'm not convinced that even they believe what they say half the time, they just know it works. They count on it.

I am saying we need to educate not attack.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by stereoman
That's good rick. Now look at the difference between the two statements. In the first, the enemy is identified as a condition. In the second, we are admonished not to personify that condition.
You're good stereoman. Bow

How many trophies did you win for your high school debate team? laugh

Jeffro #91401 12/17/08 06:48 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Religion is a good target for the anger, but the followers are not a good place to attack.
Why isn't it a "good place" to "attack" "the followers." Can not "they" think for themselves?

I really don't see the difference:

[Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Page 34 of 82 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard