WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 35 of 82 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 81 82
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by california rick
Originally Posted by stereoman
That's good rick. Now look at the difference between the two statements. In the first, the enemy is identified as a condition. In the second, we are admonished not to personify that condition.
You're good stereoman. Bow

How many trophies did you win for your high school debate team? laugh
Give yourself some credit too, rick, for being willing to think about what someone else has to say even when it runs counter to your ingrained attitudes.Bow

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Jeffro
Religion is a good target for the anger, but the followers are not a good place to attack.
Why isn't it a "good place" to "attack" "the followers." Can not "they" think for themselves?

I really don't see the difference:

[Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Rick, attacking anyone has never seemed to me to win converts to a cause or a position. It can, as with the yes on 8 ads, excite those already committed to a cause or position, but that is not what we need.

We need to cause people to rethink (or maybe think) what they "know" about gay life and gay marriage as well as the principle of equal rights. I fail to see how attacking anyone or even any institution will bring that about.

I urge you to give people the space to make the changes themselves, albeit with your help and inspiration. Have you ever been "attacked" for being gay? How well did that work?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Religion is a good target for the anger, but the followers are not a good place to attack.
Why isn't it a "good place" to "attack" "the followers." Can not "they" think for themselves?

I really don't see the difference:

[Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Rick, attacking anyone has never seemed to me to win converts to a cause or a position. It can, as with the yes on 8 ads, excite those already committed to a cause or position, but that is not what we need.

We need to cause people to rethink (or maybe think) what they "know" about gay life and gay marriage as well as the principle of equal rights. I fail to see how attacking anyone or even any institution will bring that about.

I urge you to give people the space to make the changes themselves, albeit with your help and inspiration. Have you ever been "attacked" for being gay? How well did that work?
You beat me to it Phil. Key word: attack.

I LOVE that image Rick. I've had it in my cube at work since you first posted it a few years ago.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Good point Phil, I will heed your wisdom.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Jeffro #91481 12/18/08 01:27 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I LOVE that image Rick. I've had it in my cube at work since you first posted it a few years ago.

(Don't let on that I recycle my material wink ) ***sheeesh***

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
From EQ California:

It is appalling that President-elect Barack Obama would invite California Pastor Rev. Rick Warren, an ardent supporter of Prop 8 and someone who is opposed to the equality of LGBT Americans, to give the invocation at his inauguration.
Demand President-elect Obama to immediately rescind this invitation.
www.eqca.org/actioncenter
Would President-elect Obama invite someone to give the invocation who supported eliminating the civil rights of a minority other than the LGBT community? Of course he wouldn’t!

This is a slap in the face to the millions of LGBT Americans who supported his historic candidacy.
TAKE ACTION: Sign EQCA’s petition to President-elect Obama. Ask him to immediately rescind this despicable invitation.
Link to website

Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
On CNN's site

Warren, who has made it a practice not to endorse candidates or political parties, wrote in October that the issue of gay marriage is not a political issue, but instead "a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about."

"For 5,000 years, every culture and every religion -- not just Christianity -- has defined marriage as a contract between men and women," Warren wrote in a newsletter to his congregation. "There is no reason to change the universal, historical definition of marriage to appease 2 percent of our population."

Warren also stirred controversy earlier this week when he told Beliefnet.com his grounds for opposing same-sex marriage lay primarily on his right of free speech.

"There were all kinds of threats that if [Proposition 8] did not pass, then any pastor could be considered doing hate speech if he shared his views that he didn't think homosexuality was the most natural way for relationships, and that would be hate speech."
I'm curious as to whether or not Warren is being reimbursed in any way for his invocation. Why is there an invocation at all at a govt function? Seems to be a violation of separation of church and state.

SkyHawk
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Amen, Skyhawk

veteran
veteran
wondering the same thing.

uneasy here

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
olyve #91559 12/18/08 06:28 PM
K
K
What happened to supporting Obama because he promissed to bring people together?

Sure, I don't agree with the viewes of that Pastor but he has the right to have those views. It is up to the Courts to make sure that no discriminatory laws are passed either by congress or voted in by the people.

Your bone to pick is not with the people that think gays should not be married... Your bone to pick should be with the California Supreme Court for allowing the proposition on the ballot in the first place.

I think Obama is showing that you can disagree with the views of a person and still work together with that person for the good of everyone.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
Page 35 of 82 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard