WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 36 of 82 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 81 82
kap17 #91565 12/18/08 06:39 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by kap17
What happened to supporting Obama because he promissed to bring people together?

Sure, I don't agree with the viewes of that Pastor but he has the right to have those views. It is up to the Courts to make sure that no discriminatory laws are passed either by congress or voted in by the people.

Your bone to pick is not with the people that think gays should not be married... Your bone to pick should be with the California Supreme Court for allowing the proposition on the ballot in the first place.

I think Obama is showing that you can disagree with the views of a person and still work together with that person for the good of everyone.

Rubbish! It is up to each citizen, the legislature AND the courts to adhere to the Constitution. It is pure laziness to pass it off to the courts.

The California supreme Court had no legal basis for keeping the measure off the ballot. Can you provide one?

If this were anti-miscegenation law instead would you say the same thing? I would hope not.

There are thousands of preachers who could have been chosen. Why this one? Politics doesn't trump what is right. .. or does it.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
K
K
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Rubbish! It is up to each citizen, the legislature AND the courts to adhere to the Constitution. It is pure laziness to pass it off to the courts.

Nope... The constitution is there to protect the rights of the minorities and the Courts are there to make sure that happens.

Remember that democracy is the rule of the majority and the majority has spoken clearly on Nov 4th.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #91572 12/18/08 07:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Inaugurals always begin with an incantation invocation. I think Billy Graham did it at least once. Let me see what I can find.

*Billy Graham did the inaugural prayer for '41 and both Clinton inaugurals, but was too sick to do '43 so his son did it.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 12/18/08 07:09 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
kap17 #91580 12/18/08 07:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by kap17
I think Obama is showing that you can disagree with the views of a person and still work together with that person for the good of everyone.
I don't think anyone can possibly show that, for the simple reason that it's absolutely impossible to work together for anything that is "for the good of everyone". In a country as big and diverse as ours, nothing is "for the good of everyone".

Now let's get on the Wayback Machine here and see if we can recall another instance where Mr. Obama dared to appear with Pastor Rick, shall we? Let's remind ourselves of what Mr. Obama had to say on that occasion about Proposition 8:
When asked to define marriage, he told Warren, "It's a union between a man and a woman."

"For me as a Christian, it is a sacred union. God's in the mix," he said.
Why, then, is there such an outrage about Obama picking his friend Pastor Rick, who refused to condemn Obama from the pulpit unlike so many of his fellow "men of the cloth", when Obama's own opposition to same-gender marriage should have been clear all along? Why wasn't the outrage directed at Obama when it counted? I would suggest that those who threw their whole-hearted support behind Obama in the election should instead examine their own hearts, and look at their own hypocrisy, or ignorance in the case of those who did not listen or were not listening when Obama made his position clear all those months ago.

Obama's supporters should have known what they were getting when they were out there campaigning for his election. They should have known they were getting a candidate whose own convictions would have led him to vote YES on Proposition 8.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, lots to catch up on. Briefly:
1) California Supreme Court could not act prior to passage of Prop 8. Now they can, and will.
2) I don't like invocations at public events either, but it is traditional.
3) Rick Warren may be one of the most reasonable of the evangelicals and agrees with many of the other policies that Obama supports, including the environment, etc.
4) It is not, as Steve pointed out, inconsistent with Obama's views previously expressed.
5) I don't like "one issue" voters or campaigns, nor does the President-elect, so condemning Obama over one issue is inconsistent with his previously expressed message.
6) GLBT leaders can be upset and express that, and I kind of like Obama's response.
7) Obama is the first President to appoint an openly-gay individual to a top post. First openly LGBT person named to Obama's cabinet Which action is more important - appointing someone who will serve for years, or allowing someone to make a 2 minute invocation?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#91585 12/18/08 08:01 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
"Apparently" evangelical pastor Rick Warren, from Orange County, CA was the guy who helped evangelicals get over the "is he a Muslim" and showed them that Barack Obama is in deed a born-again Christian.

...sometimes these things are more than meets the eye. wink

Contrarian, extraordinaire

#91586 12/18/08 08:21 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Walking in other person's moccasins may give different views

Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Amen, Skyhawk
[Linked Image from websmileys.com]

SkyHawk
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
In a surprise move, state Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown asked the California Supreme Court on Friday to invalidate Proposition 8. He said the November ballot measure that banned gay marriage "deprives people of the right to marry, an aspect of liberty that the Supreme Court has concluded is guaranteed by the California Constitution."

It is the attorney general's duty to defend the state's laws, and after gay rights activists filed legal challenges to Proposition 8, which amended the Constitution to ban same-sex marriage, Brown said he planned to defend the proposition as enacted by the people of California.

But after studying the matter, Brown concluded that "Proposition 8 must be invalidated because the amendment process cannot be used to extinguish fundamental constitutional rights without compelling justification."
Los Angeles Times

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
AG Brown also stated on KGO 810 a.m. San Francisco that the will of the People can not supercede the interpretations of the California constitution by the Supreme Court of California.

AG Brown stated that the Supreme Court HAD the final say in the matter last May and said the right to deny gays marriage had to be a compelling interest for the government to deny such marriages and that there is no compelling interest by the government from barring gays the right to marry.

The Court ruled on the Prop 22 statute in May 2008 and now the Court has to rule on an Admendment which does the same thing as the statute of Prop 22 passed in 2004 - which the Court struck down in May 2008 as I just stated.

AG Brown also stated that the California Supreme Court has the duty to protect individual rights.

Given these legal facts, it doesn't look good for the "Yes" side.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 36 of 82 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard