WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 40 of 82 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 81 82
journeyman
journeyman
Julia, I completely understand and agree with your points. I really do. The prayer is something I never remember. I don't pay attention. In fact, I normally automatically disregard most of that stuff as part of the pageant.

I really had to think about this to understand why it was sticking in my craw.

I believe Obama is reaching out and I believe that this action is fairly consistent with his whole message and one of the reasons I embraced that message. Warren is not being assigned a post in Obama's cabinet, he's firing off a prayer for a couple minutes that will likely not contain anything of much substance and little to no specifics on social issues... and it will be forgotten in the hoopla of the follow up.

I think the reason it bothers me so much goes back to my election night post. The vote to strip me of a recently gained right (that for one brief shining moment, made me equal at least in my own State) measurably diminished my elation of the Obama victory. I didn't expect that. At all. That one little ballot result completely killed the celebration that I had been anticipating for nearly a decade. The end of the Bush presidency. The man 'appointed by God' who gave Evangelicals free reign. Supported abstinence only sex ed, fought stem cell research and gave lots of money to faith based organizations (I know, Obama supports that too - but not exclusively).

I suppose I internalized the message of CHANGE that Obama was selling. I thought I was being cautiously optimistic but I now think it went much deeper and I didn't realize it. I knew that none of the candidates supported gay marriage. I could accept that because I know that no one running for President would stand a chance if they openly embraced the gay community and supported equal rights for us.

I just feel like I've been Evangelicaled out. I'm tired of other American's choice of religious beliefs trumping my rights as a tax paying American citizen. As you say, there are Christian congregations that have come to grips with gay rights, but that didn't happen because we were quiet.

Rick Warren being given this brief honorary opportunity is like pouring salt in a freshly opened wound. Not because he will use the platform for anything inappropriate and not because he will have any power beyond the prayer. But because he is one of the many faces that supported the stripping of our right to marry. He represents the kinder gentler homophobe. The 'some of my best friends are" type. Does he hate gay people? No. Does he see them as his equal? That's not what I'm getting from him.

I have a difficult time splitting out the emotionalism from these issues anymore. It used to be easy because we almost always lost.

The inaugaration will go on. Warren will deliver the prayer. All will be fine. Obama's gesture will likely be forgotten quickly during our National economic belly-flop. The gay community's gesture of objection will also be forgotten. It just feels important to object. I know some feel like we are shoving our lives down their throats but, believe it or not, we have in the past been mostly patient and accepting of most of our defeats (I didn't see any protests about gays being widely voted against in all the other States that actually changed their Constitutions). It just feels important to express our opinion right now. Like I said earlier, the Christian congregations did not change their views on gay rights because we kept silent.

Should we choose our battles more carefully? Perhaps, but when you're in the middle of it, sometimes it's difficult to prioritize.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by stereoman
It took us Quakers a hundred years to realize that we were dead wrong on slavery. It took my Meeting fifty years to realize that it was wrong on same-gender marriage. During those time periods, there were many who chose not to hold their breath. In the end, it isn't merely a question of whether one speaks up or not, it is a question of what one says.
Indeed. That is why I try to choose my words carefully. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (but, I just don't seem to ever shut up... sheesh gobsmacked )

For the record: I wasn't trying to be pedantic in my little experiment. I know you understand and I didn't mean to diminish your own experiences with that. It just popped into my head because I try to hear these people objectively and I know that sometimes they sound reasonable unless you are the subject of their statements. I just thought it would be an easy way to read between the lines and hear what they are really saying.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
That is the fundamental problem I have with the religious extremists: They seem to have no concept of "equality".
I couldn't agree more. Indeed, the very concept of allowing faith to control your life and perceptions is to assume that you are superior to your non-same-believing fellows. You have "the answer" and "the authority" of your chosen text which represents the "word of god." Being of the "chosen" - and god makes many, and often conflicting, choices, apparently - puts you in a different, and superior, status.

I am not saying that all people of faith are blind adherents incapable of rational or compassionate thought, but those that place "the word of god" above the "law of the land," or even rational thought, are pernicious indeed. For all the good that religions and religious fervor can do - I think of Katrina relief - the strings attached to such help can often overwhelm the positives (consider the Spanish Inquisition). We are, in this nation, presently faced with the same oppression that caused our forefathers to flee the lands of their birth, and we are so blind as a population to our own history that we, or at least the majority of us, fail to see it. We have forgotten that the first proscription in the Bill of Rights is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." There was a reason for that! It makes me sad, it makes me angry, but that frustration spurs me to action. That may be the only good that comes of it.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
R
R
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
...Do any of us remember who did the prayer at Clinton's second inaugural?

Do any of us remember whether a poem was read at either of Bush's inaugurals?

Do any of us remember either of Bush's inaugural speeches?...
Julia, that is an excellent point! Big damned deal! A minister who does not pass the sniff-test with many Obama votaries will give the invocation at his inauguration...and everyone is going through the most ridiculous of philosophical contortions in order to rationalize it in some way as indicative of agreement, control acceptance, acquiescence or whatever between Rev. Warren and Mr. Obama.

Mr. Obama's agenda of change is insufficiently iconoclastic for many of the [progressive | liberal | left-leaning] who voted for him, and now they present that deer-in-the-headlights look as they realize that the change promised - or at least the change they uncritically assumed was promised - fails to materialize to the degree they think it should.

Personally, I am absolutely astounded that otherwise intelligent people are allowing themselves to be completely distracted and wrapped around the axle over something that, in a couple of months, will not be anything but a sub-footnote in the continuing narrative of presidential history.

Life should be led like a cavalry charge - Theodore Roosevelt
Ron G. #92069 12/23/08 03:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And the inauguration still a month away...

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#92074 12/23/08 05:18 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I have made my own peace with the Warren issue, not so much because my thinking has changed, because frankly it has not. But I am heartened by the fact that it is even a point of controversy and that so many have had to reconsider their fundamental ideas about gender identity and equality.

The very fact that we are going on 40 pages of this thread speaks volumes about those of us who share this forum. For each of you, no matter where you come down on this issue, I am thankful.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
But I am heartened by the fact that it is even a point of controversy and that so many have had to reconsider their fundamental ideas about gender identity and equality.
Hear hear! That is what it's all about. If we can talk - and listen - we can learn and change.

If we can't, we won't.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
From Melissa Etheridge, who was invited to sing by Rev. Warren:

Well, I have to tell you my friends, the universe has a sense of humor and indeed works in mysterious ways. As I was winding down the promotion for my Christmas album I had one more stop last night. I'd agreed to play a song I'd written with my friend Salman Ahmed, a Sufi Muslim from Pakistan. The song is called "Ring The Bells," and it's a call for peace and unity in our world. We were going to perform our song for the Muslim Public Affairs Council, a group of Muslim Americans that tries to raise awareness in this country, and the world, about the majority of good, loving, Muslims. I was honored, considering some in the Muslim religion consider singing to be against God, while other Muslim countries have harsh penalties, even death for homosexuals. I felt it was a very brave gesture for them to make. I received a call the day before to inform me of the keynote speaker that night... Pastor Rick Warren. I was stunned. My fight or flight instinct took over, should I cancel? Then a calm voice inside me said, "Are you really about peace or not?"

I told my manager to reach out to Pastor Warren and say "In the spirit of unity I would like to talk to him." They gave him my phone number. On the day of the conference I received a call from Pastor Rick, and before I could say anything, he told me what a fan he was. He had most of my albums from the very first one. What? This didn't sound like a gay hater, much less a preacher. He explained in very thoughtful words that as a Christian he believed in equal rights for everyone. He believed every loving relationship should have equal protection. He struggled with proposition 8 because he didn't want to see marriage redefined as anything other than between a man and a woman. He said he regretted his choice of words in his video message to his congregation about proposition 8 when he mentioned pedophiles and those who commit incest. He said that in no way, is that how he thought about gays. He invited me to his church, I invited him to my home to meet my wife and kids. He told me of his wife's struggle with breast cancer just a year before mine.

When we met later that night, he entered the room with open arms and an open heart. We agreed to build bridges to the future.

Huffington post

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think Obama is just following the instincts that got him elected. I read a story on Slate that explains how PE Obama tapped into people's emotional responses:
Obama in your Heart

The key to influencing people is not so much what you said, but rather how you made them feel. Nobody will remember Warren's prayer during the inauguration, but plenty of Evangelical Christians will remember how it made them feel to see one of their own up there with President Obama. I think we will see Obama's approval rating jump because many E.C.s will stop fearing him.

But now let's segue back onto the thread topic: I think that inducing these same types of feelings will be the key to acceptance of same-sex marriage. It may be lot's of fun to march in a parade with groups of guy's wearing jock straps or leather chaps, with a giant penis float. (And I have nothing aginst celibrating your sexual identity!) But scenes of those events on TV only induce fear in the hearts of Gay Marriage opponents.

If instead LGBT people (and their friends to a lesser extent) can reach out to those who fear them, and help them see that "they are just like me", and deserving of all of life's joys, then we might get somewhere. This approach has certainly worked for some politicians who have reversed their positions after learning that a loved one is gay or lesbian.

I know it's difficult to reach out to your enemies, but that's the only way to turn them into friends.

#92107 12/23/08 10:57 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
That is the fundamental problem I have with the religious extremists: They seem to have no concept of "equality".
I couldn't agree more. Indeed, the very concept of allowing faith to control your life and perceptions is to assume that you are superior to your non-same-believing fellows. You have "the answer" and "the authority" of your chosen text which represents the "word of god." Being of the "chosen" - and god makes many, and often conflicting, choices, apparently - puts you in a different, and superior, status.

I am not saying that all people of faith are blind adherents incapable of rational or compassionate thought, but those that place "the word of god" above the "law of the land," or even rational thought, are pernicious indeed. For all the good that religions and religious fervor can do - I think of Katrina relief - the strings attached to such help can often overwhelm the positives (consider the Spanish Inquisition). We are, in this nation, presently faced with the same oppression that caused our forefathers to flee the lands of their birth, and we are so blind as a population to our own history that we, or at least the majority of us, fail to see it. We have forgotten that the first proscription in the Bill of Rights is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." There was a reason for that! It makes me sad, it makes me angry, but that frustration spurs me to action. That may be the only good that comes of it.

Is extremism and unyielding political positions only apparent in the religious community? Is it not prevalent in secular Conservatism and Liberalism as well? All I see is a bunch of people trying to push their own agenda and exert their own control and purport their own self-thought superiority.

Here it seems that President-elect Obama is "reacing across the aisle" to further discussion between two opposing views. This is precisely what he promised. It is what most of us expected in relation to foreign policy, instead of the attack mode so associated with the outgoing administration. It only seems logical to apply it at home first. We would do well, to remeber a quote from one of Barack Obama's speeches:
There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.

What is more representative of that than his choices for his cabinet and the inauguration ceremonies? We elected him for that, and now some of us are complaining because he is fulling that? confused

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Page 40 of 82 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard