WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 44 of 82 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 81 82
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
And every so often there is one backwards. I had not known that his church bans gay members, that is extreme even by evangelical standards.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
that is extreme even by evangelical standards.

Is it? Here in North Carolina, it is the norm. We have a lot of evangelicals, and it is consistently a major controversy whenever even one evangelical church offers membership to openly Gay persons.

Perhaps it's different in California. Can you provide a statement by any evangelical organization that supports your perception?

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
While the text disappeared soon after MSNBC’s lesbian news show host Rachel Maddow “outed” it on her cable show, Saddleback Church issued a video that explained that their condemnation of homosexuality was still in effect and had been pulled from the site only so the church could “repurpose it for clarity.”
I didn't know that Rachel Maddow (NorCal resident, Stanford Grad) was gay until the Christmas Dinner I attended last week and these three Lesbians became all hot 'n bothered 'n boisterous not to mention, giddy, at the mere mention of 'Rachel Maddow.'

And every so often there is one backwards. I had not known that his church bans gay members, that is extreme even by evangelical standards.
Phil's right - at least by California standards. Churches would rather have gays come and join the flock for "reprograming" than outright ban gays.

I do find it arrogant that Saddleback Community Church "decides" which "sins" are "acceptable" and which "sins" are "banishable" - not even the Catholic Church goes that far...

Who are they to judge? Doesn't the Bible say: Judge not least ye be judged?

I'm just sayin'...

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
For you, Olyve

[Linked Image from farm4.static.flickr.com]
whoa...thanks Phil! laugh

(sorry I'm just now getting back here. busy days!}

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
olyve #92808 12/30/08 09:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jeffro
She expressed huge disappointment with the U.S. decision not to sign the statement, pointing out that it is a country that has global influence, and should set an example in the recognition of human rights. China, Russia, the Vatican and Islamic countries also refused to sign the statement.

For some reason (temporary insanity?) I thought the U.S. had signed the statement. I'm seriously running out of places to put my anger and disappointment.
No, we embarrassed ourselves (again) by being one of the few that didn't sign.
Speaking of going backwards, I sometimes think this country is.

Originally Posted by stereoman
that is extreme even by evangelical standards.

Is it? Here in North Carolina, it is the norm. We have a lot of evangelicals, and it is consistently a major controversy whenever even one evangelical church offers membership to openly Gay persons.
here too...
That said among individual Christians I know, a lot of progress seems to be being made.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
olyve #92815 12/30/08 10:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Explanatory POV: Christianity's teachings did not make sense to me, so I am no longer Christian. For me, that was a more effective choice than trying to change Christianity. That personal choice very much informs my writing of this post.

Perhaps when the evangelicals have all reformed, somebody can do something about the Catholics; last I heard they don't mind a person being gay, so long as s/he never acts on it, or thinks about it.

Truly, there are some religions/people - perhaps many - who will not change. I'm not sure that asking existing congregations to change would be as helpful as forming new, inclusive congregations.

My point (and I do have one) is that if Christian congregations have as a tenet of their beliefs that Homosexuality is Wrong, trying to change that belief may be futile. It seems a little like insisting that the local synagogue should include readings from the New Testament in order to make non-Jews welcome.

Christianity is no stranger to sectarianism; split off a Reformed Liberal South-west Lutheran Synod or a New American Baptist whatever.

I'm also a little confused by something, and that's the whole freedom of religion thing. To take the point of devil's advocate (so to speak) - if the Little Brown Church decides that active homosexual behavior is a sin - are they free to say "active homosexuals are not welcome here?" So long as they do not advocate anything illegal (like housing discrimination, etc.) Reminder - I would find that abhorrent; I'm asking because I want to know. Because if the churches ARE within their rights to do that,than I think demanding change might really be a problem -both from a practical point of view, from the point of view of doctrine, and within he spirit of the Constitution.

I did hear a story on today's news that said a church could not refuse to rent property for a gay commitment ceremony (I think that's what it was,) and that sounds very positive.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
A church is free to restrict membership in any manner it pleases and I would not have it any other way.

It does tend to belie the "inclusive" claims of Rev. Warren, however, that his church has the policy of excluding gays. It is his right, and it is mine to question his suitability for saying the invocation.

veteran
veteran
Neither of which I questioned. Thanks,Phil.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
K
K
It is his right, and it is mine to question his suitability for saying the invocation.

I guess I'm missing the list of requirements a priest/minister/reverend must have to say the invocation. Can you provide it?

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #92849 12/30/08 11:04 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by kap17
It is his right, and it is mine to question his suitability for saying the invocation.

I guess I'm missing the list of requirements a priest/minister/reverend must have to say the invocation. Can you provide it?

Well, of course any such person must have my personal approval, didn't you know that Kap?

Page 44 of 82 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard