WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 46 of 82 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 81 82
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by california rick
One is a business; one is a church. Although there could be a "business" called The Church of the Phallic Symbol and exclude str8s, I guess. But, truly, I don't think that many str8s would be dying to get in...
Sure they would, and they would all be driving hot little sports cars or huge Hummers... wink

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Jeffro #92970 12/31/08 07:27 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
As I mentioned earlier, Rick Warren was the evangelical that brought Mr. Obama's "born-again Christian" status to the forefront thus dispelling the notion that Mr. Obama is a "Muslim."

I believe that is the primary reason Mr. Warren is speaking on January 20th.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
n 1996, as a freshman member of the House of Representatives, I wrote the Defense of Marriage Act, better known by its shorthand acronym, DOMA, than its legal title. The law has been a flash-point for those arguing for or against same-sex marriage ever since President Clinton signed it into law. Even President-elect Barack Obama has grappled with its language, meaning and impact.

I can sympathize with the incoming commander in chief. And, after long and careful consideration, I have come to agree with him that the law should be repealed.
Los Angeles Times - Bob Barr Op-Ed

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
n 1996, as a freshman member of the House of Representatives, I wrote the Defense of Marriage Act, better known by its shorthand acronym, DOMA, than its legal title. The law has been a flash-point for those arguing for or against same-sex marriage ever since President Clinton signed it into law. Even President-elect Barack Obama has grappled with its language, meaning and impact.

I can sympathize with the incoming commander in chief. And, after long and careful consideration, I have come to agree with him that the law should be repealed.
Los Angeles Times - Bob Barr Op-Ed

Well, this is certainly good news. I'm all in favor more more gay Marines ( smile ). Although if you remember my date with the Lt-Colonel from the Air Force a few weeks ago - nobody has to ask him - becuase you could cetainly tell. laugh

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
From Equality California Institute:
Based on polling data funded by Equality California Institute and conducted by David Binder Research, the study found that voters who supported Prop 8 were primarily influenced by:
• Ideology – 82% of voters who identify as conservatives voted “Yes”
• Party – Republicans voted more than 80% in favor of Prop 8
• Religiosity – 70% of weekly church goers voted “Yes”
• Age – 67% of voters born before World War II voted “Yes”
The study also showed that race was not a driving factor in the election, as was purported by the National Election Pool (NEP) poll which said 70% of African-Americans voted for Prop 8. Our study found the number closer to 57% to 59%.
One of the most important--and rewarding--findings was the movement in all groups, except Republicans, toward support for full marriage equality. From 2000 to 2008 we moved Californians 9% in support of same-sex marriage – an amazing change in such a short time!

veteran
veteran
Phil, thanks very much for posting that.

I have to admit I was disturbed by some of the early posts on this thread, particularly in laying blame so quickly and so fiercely on minorities, and I've been more cautious than usual in posting to this thread as a result.

From what you've posted it appears that the three blocs of voters initially blamed here for the vote count (one of those posted by me, blaming a generational vote, I'm sorry to say) were all outweighed by religious and political ideologies.

Interesting. Numbers are tricky beasts.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes -- the troubles come about when a person concludes from the data showing that a large majority of Blacks voted "yes" that people voted "yes" because they are Black.

Certain to be a mistake.

Same goes for "because they are old" or "because the are Republicans". Those are still mistakes. Correlation does not mean causation.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Interestingly the original more racist conclusions I and others drew were not even based upon facts. It wasn't 70% but 57% of African Americans who voted yes.

Mea culpa

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Obama showed how clearly he understood that in his inaugural address, when he said: "The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

It is impossible to adhere to those principles while also proposing that some citizens should have fewer rights than others for no better reason than the majority disapproves of their sexual preference. Obama claims not to support such discrimination, but his views on the issue are an embarrassing muddle; he opposed Proposition 8, California's same-sex marriage ban, yet says unequivocally that he believes "marriage" is strictly between one man and one woman.

Obama is caught up in semantics, apparently believing that gays and lesbians should be allowed to engage in civil unions with all the rights of marriage, as long as they aren't called marriages. That's an evasion that was rightly rejected in May by the California Supreme Court when it overturned a previous ban on same-sex marriage, because such semantic distinctions tend to cast doubt on a union's legitimacy.

At the time of Obama's birth in 1961, some states would not have allowed his interracial parents to marry. He, of all people, should know better.
Los Angeles Times editorial

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Interestingly the original more racist conclusions I and others drew were not even based upon facts. It wasn't 70% but 57% of African Americans who voted yes.

Mea culpa

...The study also showed that race was not a driving factor in the election, as was purported by the National Election Pool (NEP) poll which said 70% of African-Americans voted for Prop 8. Our study found the number closer to 57% to 59%.
Well that clears that up - it was only close to 60% of Black Americans voting "YES" as opposed to the widely reported 70%.

rolleyes

Same difference: The majority of California Black voters voted "YES."

Black Americans simply don't see "gay rights" as a "civil rights" issue. For Black Americans, "civil rights" is about their struggle for rights - not any other group.

...as I've stated in the past, Black Americans should have trademarked the term "civil rights" so that we are all clear on which singular group to which the term is to be applied.

Failure to tradmark the term has allowed other groups to use the term and the Black community simply has to adjust to that...

Page 46 of 82 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard