WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 47 of 82 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 81 82
veteran
veteran
Rick, the point is that ideology, religion, and age are bigger problems (bigger divisions to solve) than race, but it was race that got slapped first, and hardest.

Some of us just kinda wondered at that.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 01/21/09 10:33 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
K
K
Originally Posted by california rick
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Interestingly the original more racist conclusions I and others drew were not even based upon facts. It wasn't 70% but 57% of African Americans who voted yes.

Mea culpa

...The study also showed that race was not a driving factor in the election, as was purported by the National Election Pool (NEP) poll which said 70% of African-Americans voted for Prop 8. Our study found the number closer to 57% to 59%.
Well that clears that up - it was only close to 60% of Black Americans voting "YES" as opposed to the widely reported 70%.

rolleyes

Same difference: The majority of California Black voters voted "YES."

Black Americans simply don't see "gay rights" as a "civil rights" issue. For Black Americans, "civil rights" is about their struggle for rights - not any other group.

...as I've stated in the past, Black Americans should have trademarked the term "civil rights" so that we are all clear on which singular group to which the term is to be applied.

Failure to tradmark the term has allowed other groups to use the term and the Black community simply has to adjust to that...

I think there's a huge difference between what black people had to go through and what gay people go through in respect of civil liberties forgone.

While there has been a few incidents of violence against gay people, it doesn't even come close to the numbers of lynching that took place in USA.

But maybe if there were signs saying "gay people to the back of the bus" other people would feel your "pain" more.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #96665 01/21/09 10:37 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
No one has contended otherwise Kap17 to my knowledge. But the same can be said for many groups which have sought equal treatment under the law, otherwise knows as "civil rights."

What was your point, that gays should settle for less because they suffered less?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
K
K
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
No one has contended otherwise Kap17 to my knowledge. But the same can be said for many groups which have sought equal treatment under the law, otherwise knows as "civil rights."

What was your point, that gays should settle for less because they suffered less?

The point is that people (like rick) shouldn't say things like "I can't believe that black people didn't vote against prop 8 when they themselves fought for civil rights not too long ago" like they're suppose to fight for civil rights for everyone because people fought for their civil rights.

It's kinda like saying "come on guys.... we got you all these rights 50 years ago.. why can't you vote for our rights".

That's how I see comments like the one made by Rick. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
kap17 #96669 01/21/09 11:49 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Well, there is a certain logic to it, isn't there? Or are civil rights apportioned in some manner I didn't know about? Frankly after all the years and years of work, the number of times I put my life on the line for other groups, including African Americans, I was hoping for, if not expecting reciprocation.

see for me my efforts on their behalf were borne of a commitment to equality and justice for all, not some guilt or effort at reparations.

Guess I was wrong in your opinion.

old hand
old hand
civil rights is an all inclusive term. women's rights is specific; rights for descendants of specific ethnic groups is specific. civil rights are for everyone.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
kap17 #96702 01/22/09 03:05 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by kap17
The point is that people (like rick) shouldn't say things like "I can't believe that black people didn't vote against prop 8 when they themselves fought for civil rights not too long ago" like they're suppose to fight for civil rights for everyone because people fought for their civil rights.

It's kinda like saying "come on guys.... we got you all these rights 50 years ago.. why can't you vote for our rights".

That's how I see comments like the one made by Rick. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.
That's exactly how my comments should be interpreted - and why not?

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Rick, the point is that ideology, religion, and age are bigger problems (bigger divisions to solve) than race, but it was race that got slapped first, and hardest.

Some of us just kinda wondered at that.
...because it was the most obvious criteria to stick out.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
Oh, well, as long as there's a sensible reason. rolleyes

I don't think there's been much discussion of this so I'm going to throw it out there. It would be interesting to see a poll that finds out how many voters support civil rights for the gay community, but who do not see marriage as a civil right. The answer in the gay community is clear; the answer elsewhere, less so.

It would be interesting to know what the overlap is on those groups...that is, how many black voters voted for Prop 8 because, while they support civil rights for gays, they consider marriage to be a religious question, and not a civil right.

We've had many discussions here about whether marriage should be strictly religious, with the state uninvolved. I wonder how many people actually took the time to reason it out.

I wonder if Prop 8 had curtailed more traditional civil rights (like employment and housing rights) instead of marriage, if the support would have changed.

Mostly I still think there are a lot of assumptions here about who voted and why - and I think some of those assumptions are damaging, if they turn out to be wrong. I'm sure it sounds like I'm being picky with words - but if I support you in those rights I consider to be civil, that has value. That is a show of support, although not the support the gay community was looking for. It's a basis of mutual support, and it can be built upon - if, in fact, it exists.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
You know, you can parse it as much as you want. Either you are for equal treatment of all or not. So please spare me the fine distinctions.

Page 47 of 82 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard