WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 49 of 82 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 81 82
K
K
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
However, the way you go about fighting for your "civil rights" could turn people that might support you into people that either stop activily supporting you or even into someone that opposes you.

Undoubtedly true, Kap, but that is a very weak commitment to equal rights, is it not? Aren't civil rights a part of our system precisely for those whom are disliked by the public?

Can you not dislike the way a group's way of trying to get those rights and thus not support them with your time/money but still ideologically support their rights?

I can say that I support civil rights for everyone but if I don't go out and donate my time and money there is little difference I'm making.

The "civil rights" movement of the past was successful because it involved people that were not black.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
K
K
Originally Posted by stereoman
Originally Posted by kap17
It is up to the religions of the world to decide who they allow to marry.
I agree with your comment in principle, kap, but unfortunately in practice, the "rites" of marriage have been inextricably intertwined with the "rights" of marriage. I would like nothing more than to see the Constitutional guarantee of separation of Church and State strictly observed in the matter of marriage, and I hope that the issue of "gay marriage" will ultimately provide the catalyst for the Supremes to make such a declaration.

Until then, I acknowledge that same-gendered couples are being denied the same rights as different-gendered couples and that the proper way to address that is to afford the same validity in the eyes of the law to same-gendered couples no matter what religious institution their "rites" are performed in - or none.

While there are people like yourself that are willing to say "well, since civil unions are not the same as marriages and since I want equal rights for everyone then I guess we should allow everyone to marry" I'm not willing to accept that way. I'd rather partake in the long and costly fight to take the religious institution of marriage out of the political arena and have civil unions for everyone which give everone same rights.

Sure, the fight will be a lot longer and some people might say that I can afford to do that since I'm not gay and I don't plan on marrying anyone of my own gender... but tough luck. That's how I see it.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond
veteran
veteran

I support gay marriage for ethical and religious reasons. I'm not nearly as concerned with defining it as a civil right as I am concerned with getting it legally recognized.

I would like to see Prop 8 overturned because it's wrong. On a number of levels.

I haven't really considered the idea of marriage as a civil right, until today. I'm not sure there is a "right" to marriage for anyone; it's like saying there's a "right" to baptism. But since the law is already involved, I don't think anyone should be barred from marriage by law - unless everyone is.

Now I'll try to give you my reasoning on the civil rights question, which is one I had not considered until today.

It seems to me that if legal recognition of marriage is wrong for some, it's wrong for all. If it's right for some, it's right for all. If the state stopped keeping records of marriages and divorces entirely, would that be denying the civil rights of citizens to marry? I'm not sure. I'd have to give it more thought. Right now I'm leaning towards no.

However, if the state said "only certain adults are allowed to vote. It should be all or nothing; therefore no one is allowed to vote," that does deny a civil right. Marriage, perhaps because of the muddle of state and religion, is not so clear to me. I can't draw a clear parallel.

But I don't need an answer to that question in order to know that I oppose Prop 8 on the grounds that it is discriminatory - a view I've held since the election.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
kap17 #96812 01/22/09 05:10 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Sure, the fight will be a lot longer and some people might say that I can afford to do that since I'm not gay and I don't plan on marrying anyone of my own gender... but tough luck. That's how I see it.

then, in the spirit of good citizenship, I am sure you will voluntarily give up all the special privileges accorded you under the law, assuming you are married, of course.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
kap17 #96863 01/22/09 08:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Excellent post, Mellow Julia. Your thought process describes the reason I feel that the "M" word is the source of all the trouble. The government has no business identifying a contractual agreement with legal standing by invoking a religious term.

Originally Posted by kap17
While there are people like yourself that are willing to say "well, since civil unions are not the same as marriages and since I want equal rights for everyone then I guess we should allow everyone to marry" I'm not willing to accept that way. I'd rather partake in the long and costly fight to take the religious institution of marriage out of the political arena and have civil unions for everyone which give everone same rights.

I wouldn't think of denying you your right to see it that way, kap. I'm expressing my opinion, not criticizing you for yours.

If we were still living in the days of American Apartheid, I would be similarly advocating for people of color to sit at White lunch counters, and I'd be sitting there with them. I wouldn't put you under any obligation to do so, and I'd be glad for whatever part you would play in the long and costly fight to make all lunch counters equally accessible to all people, even though as a White person you could afford to say "so what".

So I applaud your choice, kap. Please do partake of that fight!

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Yes, Julia, we are on the same page. Possibly let me point out I am not claiming marriage is a civil right, but that equal treatment under the law is.

veteran
veteran
Certainly. As I will point out that it was neither you nor I who brought the term "civil rights" into the conversation.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
As I will point out that it was neither you nor I who brought the term "civil rights" into the conversation.
...it was I who did [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com] (...as a result of Black Americans calling into KGO 8.10 San Francisco and stating that "gay rights" and marrying each other are not equal to their "civil rights" struggle.)

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Which, of course it is not. But that is, as I have put forth, a misreading of the issue. See above.

veteran
veteran
Here's an idea, and I'm surprised I haven't posted it before now:

Take gay rights out of the argument.
Take civil rights out of the argument.

The problem is unequal treatment of married and single adults.

If, as I understand it, registering a marriage with the state is desirable because it bestows certain legal and/or financial rights -- then it's not the marriage that's the problem, it's the legal and financial benefits. If we are talking about discrimination, then legal benefits granted by the state to married people are legal benefits unfairly withheld from me as a single person.

Right now, I have to prepare legal forms, get witnesses, and distribute the completed forms to appropriate people so that if I'm hospitalized and can't make decisions, others can get medical information about me, and make decisions on my behalf. I shouldn't have to do that. I should make similar arrangemens about what happens to my body when I die. But if I was married, my spouse would have those rights without any paperwork. Estate rights could be handled the same way (all this in absence of other arrangements, wills, etc.)

I should be able to specify someone as a spouse, next-of-kin, whatever we want to call it, when I register to vote, or get a drivers' license, or pay taxes, to deal with these and other matters. Marriage doesn't need to be involved there.

My understanding (and I don't have a reference for this, sorry) is that some of these benefits came into play as a way to strengthen the nuclear family and thereby strengthen our society. But the nuclear family is no longer the norm (if it ever was.) It's time to re-think this whole idea.

The parentage of children should be identified through birth certificates or adoption papers. Marriage isn't required for this either. (For that matter, if I have a child, and two other people are willing to raise that child with me, why can't I list all three of us as parents?)

I see two main benefits here.

First, marriage can continue to be registered by the government. If no government benefits are attached, there's no discrimination. The onus of equal treatment lands back with the churches, who are the ones making decisions about who can marry. If a church performs a marriage, the government can record it if requested. No benefits attached. (There should be a governmental equivalent - like British registry offices. The records made by the government should be exactly the same for state and religious unions.)

Second, instead of fighting for change for a small portion of the citizenry, and having to deal with questions of so-called morality, the change would benefit all unmarried adults. Armed forces members who have estranged or deceased parents would certainly benefit. People who are over 21 but have not built families of their own would benefit. Widows and widowers. Suddenly you have a lot more people involved, and the question becomes one of fairness, rather than one of morality.

There is a strategic order in which each change would have to be made - but when they're all in, it would be fair.

Wild hairs before bedtime. Still, it's an interesting thought.

(This is not a response to Rick; it just got tagged that way.)

Last edited by Mellowicious; 01/23/09 03:09 AM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 49 of 82 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard