WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,493 my own book page
5,016,532 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,674 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 51 of 82 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 81 82
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I join with others in welcoming you, ChristianMiller, and applauding your first post as being very well written and well thought out. It helps my high opinion of your essay that it happens to be in very close agreement with my own position. grin

A slight quibble:

Originally Posted by ChristianMiller
In our idealized concept of marriage we imagine two people in love, committed to each other, living together, having a family, living happily ever after.
Many of us here at the Rant are a little on the waning side of our child bearing/rearing years. In fact, one might say downright over the hill. So your "our" may not apply to our "us".

More to the crux of the matter: to my mind, the idea of a "union" of two people that goes beyond mere "love relationship" definitely involves some vital contractural obligations and rights, such as legal and medical power of attorney, sharing of property, and sharing of decision making regarding guardianship of minor children. IMHO these rights cannot and should not vanish in the name of equality; rather they should be equally distributed in the name of equality.

So I unite with Phil's opinion. First, equal rights. Then we can talk about abolishing the institutionalization of marriage relationships. I'll be arguing for the "con" side.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

C
stranger
stranger
C

Thank you all for the warm welcome and I appreciate the kind comments. Steve, I too am over the hill, but I do find it easier going downhill than uphill. It was Social Security that brought me to my position on marriage. Last year my wife started getting a $700 payment each month from Social Security based solely on being married to me. A glorious thing for us and we would hate to give it back, but there are a lot of poor older unmarried folks that need the money more than we do. It is hard for me to rationalize the fairness, justice, equality or morality in our wonderful government marriage benefit that is being subsidized by unmarried people.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Phil, Thanks for the welcome. At your suggestion I did read over the previous 50 pages and yes it not so easy. I do believe, however, that this issue, unlike global warming or Middle East conflicts, can be solved by thought experiments, intellectual rigor and some creativity.

Your observation about the disparity of women is probably true, but a box we dare not open.

“Despite gains by women, they are not on an equal footing with men when it comes to negotiating marital contracts. That might offend some, but I saw thousands of examples of the disparity.”

Even for an experienced lawyer as yourself, I would think that the argument that marriage laws are needed to protect weak women will be a tough sell. First it will alienate all the women and second such protection is not needed for same sex marriage since it is either two men or two women.

But yes I agree with 100% that we should teach finance and law in high school. It is more important than calculus.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mellow, this is, I think, the most eloquent, elegant elucidation of the topic I have ever seen:
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
1) If the issue is marriage for the sake of marriage, there are religious leaders who will perform gay marriages - not enough, but times are changing.
2) If the issue is recognition of marriage by the government, this appears to be an issue because government rewards marriage with certain benefits.
3) It is unfair for the government to reward relationships when participation in those relationships is dependent primarily upon a religious issue.
4) It is unfair for the government to give preference, in basic issues of kinship, inheritance, and family on the basis of religious definitions rather than on the basis of the rights of individuals.
respect

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#98818 02/03/09 11:32 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The California Supreme Court announced today that it will hear oral arguments on Thursday, March 5, 2009 in the Proposition 8 legal challenge.
On November 19, 2008, the California Supreme Court agreed to hear the legal challenges to Proposition 8 and set an expedited schedule. Briefing in the case was completed on January 21, 2009.
The California Supreme Court must issue its decisions within 90 days of oral argument.
On January 15, 2009, 43 friend-of-the-court briefs urging the Court to invalidate Prop 8 were filed, arguing that Proposition 8 drastically alters the equal protection guarantee in California’s Constitution and that the rights of a minority cannot be eliminated by a simple majority vote. The supporters represent the full gamut of California’s and the nation’s civil rights organizations and legal scholars, as well as California legislators, local governments, bar associations, business interests, labor unions, and religious groups.
Email from Equality California
California Court docket

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Given the lies the YES ON 8 people put out in their ads, it'll be interesting to hear what tangled web of lies they'll argue before the Court.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
All of the briefs are available online at the link in my post above if you want to know what they are saying, Rick.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
What's the purpose of "oral arguments" if said "arguments" are already contained in a court brief? Isn't that a waste of time? Can't the Court read for themselves?

I don't understand that part of the legal process.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Oral arguments are usually a time for the Justices to poke into arguments made in the briefs, get answers to questions and deepen a particular point.

The worst is when they just sit there while you are speaking. Then you have to make points in response to other briefs and arguments that came before you in turn.

Often the justices signal where they are heading during oral arguments.

I never went to the Supreme Court but have argued a fair number of Appeal court cases, both federal and state. I love the process.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I enjoyed this piece quite a bit:
Should Adopted Children be Allowed to Say "Mommy" and "Daddy?"
Makes exactly as much sense as "defense of marriage" arguments.

Page 51 of 82 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard