WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
No rubbers for Trump
by Doug Thompson - 05/09/24 01:44 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:42 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:37 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 05/08/24 02:32 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by Doug Thompson - 05/07/24 02:06 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,940 my own book page
5,012,979 We shall overcome
4,192,681 Campaign 2016
3,791,960 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,269 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,087
Posts313,736
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
How strange, I always thought it was Gingrich. Guess I was wrong. Do not remember Hasturt but then, its a miracle that I still remember my own name. I asked my girl at the VA if there was a memory pill yet and she said there was not. There are, however (she said) some that may help. She said the problem with them is that there may be connected problems and then she not only told me the list of those that are out there but what else might happen if you take one of them. Both lists were very long. You do not want to try any of them!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Here in my opinion was the beginning – “The Hastert rule, also known as the "majority of the majority" rule, is an informal governing principle used in the United States by Republican Speakers of the House of Representatives since the mid-1990s to maintain their speakerships[1] and limit the power of the minority party to bring bills up for a vote on the floor of the House.[2] Under the doctrine, the speaker will not allow a floor vote on a bill unless a majority of the majority party supports the bill.[3]

Under House rules, the speaker schedules floor votes on pending legislation. The Hastert rule says that the speaker will not schedule a floor vote on any bill that does not have majority support within their party—even if the majority of the members of the House would vote to pass it. The rule keeps the minority party from passing bills with the assistance of a minority of majority party members. In the House, 218 votes are needed to pass a bill; if 200 Democrats are the minority and 235 Republicans are the majority, the Hastert rule would not allow 200 Democrats and 100 Republicans together to pass a bill, because 100 Republican votes is short of a majority of the majority party, so the speaker would not allow a vote to take place.[4]

The Hastert rule is an informal rule and the speaker is not bound by it; they may break it at their discretion. Speakers have at times broken the Hastert rule and allowed votes to be scheduled on legislation that lacked majority support within the Speaker's own party. Dennis Hastert alleged the rule was "kind of a misnomer" in that it "never really existed" as a rule.”

Gingrich does get blamed for a lot of stuff Hastert did. But certainly, Gingrich was by no means a saint. Gingrich was one of those politicians democrats love to hate. There was plenty of good reasons for that. Perhaps the biggest reason was the “Contract with American,” Gingrich came up with that ended 40 straight years of house rule by the democrats. The republicans gained 54 seats in the 1994 midterms. Gingrich while speaker also push for Bill Clinton’s impeachment over Monica Lewinski. It was, however, Hastert who went through with the impeachment of Bill Clinton after he took over as speaker.

Last edited by perotista; 05/05/24 12:23 AM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I can remember when the two parties actually created legislation to deal with the southern border. BOTH sides had to sit down and create this bill. As far as I can tell this was the first time, in a long time, that both parties had actually sit down and work something like this to fruition. Then cam Trump and told them to not pass it on as he needed to be able to attack the Dems for not taking care of the southern border. The house Republicans duly shut the whole thing down. The newsies cleverly showed the Republican house member who did the legislation and he was a bit upset about it all but the Republicans duly did their job as per Trump's desires. I remember, at the time, that I thought that, perhaps, both parties had displayed a capacity to actually do their job. I was wrong, Trump fixed that one.

Since then I have continued to watch the news and I don't think I heard anything about the above more than 2 times and one never hears about it anymore. Biden - nope, never mentions it. Same things with all the newsies - not a word. Trump gets to nail Biden and nobody mentions the fact of what Trump did. Since I do not spend all day, every day, listening I may be wrong but, basically, Trump has is way blaming Biden for the southern border all the time and nobody calls Trump on what he did.

Just thought I would mention that one as, now, amongst other things, Trump is getting a free ride. Oh, and the Republicans are regularly calling Trump an ex President of the United states which was one of the greatest presidents of all time. When he left office, incidentally, he was given the title of worst president in the history of the country. That too seems to be forgotten now.

Interesting times?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Jgw, most Americans have very short memories. For an event to have an impact on an election, it must happen within 2-3 months of the election date. Many Americans are looking back on the Trump presidency thinking they were better off under Trump than Biden. They’ve forgotten the reasons they voted against Trump in 2020.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Yep and short memories is just the start. This is particularly true of the voting public. I have, pretty much, whined enough on that stuff. After you told me about your adventures in buying surplus stuff I thought I would take a look. What I found were, literally, hundreds (if not thousands), of places to buy surplus. The entire surplus thing is also interesting. States, for instance, have stores to buy their surplus as does the fed as well. This is also true of universities. Dawns on me, its actually an industry! Amazing!

There seems to be not only government but entire companies dedicated to the sale of surplus. Pretty amazing but I gave up. I spend quite a bit of time spending very little buying stuff I don't need because I have a lot of time on my hands these days. When I buy on the net I usually just goto ebay as they, pretty much, sell everything. Much of what I buy on ebay comes from amazon. That one has always amused me. I have a friend who sells a lot on ebay and he explained why that is but I never figured it out.

1 member likes this: perotista
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard