I ran across Deaf Sentence by David Lodge shortly after Slipped Mickey had a thread here about hearing impairment, so I picked it up.

It didn't grip me the way I thought it would (not entirely the book's fault; I got called away in the middle to deal with family issues, and lost the rhythm) but it was interesting, and worth the time it took to read it.

The narrator, Desmond Bates, is a professor of linguistics in northern England. He has had to take early retirement due to a worsening hearing impairment; he can still lecture, but can't hold a discussion with his students. His attempts to stay engaged in social occasions and with family discussions form one plotline (as much as there IS a plotline.)

A second plotline follows his efforts to support, from a distance, his aged father in London, an old dance-band musician rapidly approaching the point where Something Must be Done with Dad.

The third plotline has to do with an American student who wants Desmond as an advisor - but she never quite seems to be who or what she says she is.

As I said, it's not a gripper, but as a portrait of a fairly ordinary man, it's worth a read if you happen across it in the library.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad