A twofer:

1) Only made it to page 42 in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows. (OMG! It took two people to write it?) Structurally it's a series of letters, one of the letter-writers being a woman who wrote humorous newspaper stories during and dealing with World War II. Maybe the articles would have done it for me. The book, cute gliding right on into pretentious, didn't.

2) Havana Nocturne by T. J. English is a history of the mob in Cuba and its overthrow by Castro. YAWN! I read the first sentence and looked at the pictures. Damn, those mob bosses were short.

And after the above two books, I have to say something: Kathy, I love your generosity and desire to share. I enjoy our outings. I admire your dedication to your causes. So please accept that I do not mean the following in any cruel way. Except for trashy Hollywood biographies and Sue Grafton, we do not share the same taste in books. Tell me what a book is about; if I have any interest in it, I'll let you know.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!