Let's see...that's the rage-against-the-law one, right? It's been a long time since I've read Dickens, and so help me, Martha, if you get me hooked again...

I'm about 3/4 through a non-fiction that's lively, interesting, and unusual. It's The Big Necessity, by Rose George; the subtitle is "The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters."

It's just now out, and you might not want to pay the hardcover price, so check your library - but it's really quite interesting, and it covers everything from biogas production in China to the untouchables who clean dry latrines in Inda to the $3000 amazing productions of the Japanese (for example, the $3000 Neorest, with

• FEATURES:
  • Sleek, tankless, one-piece toilet with integrated Washlet seat.
  • New Cyclone Flushing system, no waiting for refill, no refill noise.
  • Skirted styling with concealed trapway for easy cleaning
  • Integrated Washlet features front and rear warm water washing, automatic air dryer and deodorizer.
  • SanaGloss: Super smooth, ion barrier glazing cleans your toilet bowl with every flush
    AUTOMATIC OPERATION:
  • Lid opens, closes and toilet flushes when sensor is activated.

It's truly informative; it's not written as "john humor" but as a serious look at a serious subject. When WHO and other organizations refer to "water-borne illness," they're not referring to little creatures that come out of stagnant ponds. For the most part, they're referring to illnesses caused by human excrement in the water.

Here's a report that explains the issue of "water-related disease."

I would never have picked this book up had I not heard an interview with the author, who made the subject far more interesting to me than anyone else ever has.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad