It appears that some are taking this fight to the federal court, now. Indeed, the spectrum of people upset by the ruling is surprising: Strange Bedfellows In Prop 8 Fight
(CBS/AP) In choosing sides over the legality of gay marriage, two of the nation's top lawyers are saying, "I do."

Opposing attorneys in the 2000 election fight for Florida - David Boies, who represented Al Gore, and Ted Olson, George Bush's lawyer and later the U.S. Solicitor General - are teaming up to ask a federal court to throw out California's ban on same-sex marriage.

The two filed a lawsuit Friday on behalf of two gay men and two gay women, arguing that the marriage ban violates the U.S. Constitution's guarantees of equal protection and due process.

Olson said he hopes the case will wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

I absolutely agree with the legal premise of the lawsuit. Nonetheless, I do not think that it is the appropriate approach at this time. Personally, I think the time is ripe, at least in California, for a ballot initiative to eliminate Prop 8. An electoral victory, particularly an initiative victory, will be the most influential result. The momentum is definitely going that way.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich