Martha, as far as Bootsie...all I can tell you is to keep reading. You did not mess up the order. However, I don't recall instances of your statement "From the more recent past, a recurring character is always a troubled woman whom Dave bedded at least once." Not saying it isn't true...I just don't recall it.

You still have several to go: Crusader's Cross, Pegasus Descending, The Tin Roof Blowdown, and the latest, Swan Peak. Another is due out next year, I believe. And as far as I'm concerned they get better and better.

I'm really glad you are enjoying the Dave Robicheaux books. We have been reading them since the beginning -- he is like a member of our family. Two years ago, my son and I searched out some of the places frequently mentioned in the books around New Iberia. It was a lot of fun. We think he is one of the best -- if not the best -- contemporary writers working today.

BTW, there is a forum at jamesleeburke.com. Burke himself pops in quite frequently to answer questions and chat.

EmmaG

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama