On page 10 I was ready to stop reading Scott Sigler's Infected, but my every-book-deserves-50-pages rule kept me going. Around page 45 it grabbed me. By page 339, when it finally ended, I found myself reconsidering my 50-page rule. But I think this book cheated. How, one may ask, does a book cheat? By making the end merely a lead into the next book in the series.

Infected, sort of a combined Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Alien, is primarily the story of one man who surgically removes creatures growing in his body. (From those words imagine the possibilities for gore. Then double it. Three or more times. You're now approaching the level of gore in Infected.) Of course, while the self-mutilation is going on, all sorts of interesting questions are being asked. Who are these parasites? Where are they from? What do they want? Perhaps those questions will be answered in Contagious. Or maybe not. I'm not about to struggle through another three-hundred-plus pages to find out.

And I won't go and see the movie, assuming there will be one. The special affects folks are going to have way too good a time with spurting blood, severed limbs and purple pus.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 06/14/09 03:57 PM.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!