Jeff,
I agree with every word. It is obscene that it is still "acceptable" by so many in our society - the majority in some States - that blatant discrimination is "ok;" that bigots can hide behind "religious freedom" to speak hate speech; that simple equality is a fight at all. Yet, the change in attitude that pervades the country is mesmerizing, and sometimes it is hard to see how far we have yet to go. I firmly believe that we will get there - and though I am not personally gay, I still believe it is a "we" - and I even think that it is going to be soon. And I completely sympathize with the frustration you so eloquently evoke, because the goal is so close - at least legally. I also understand the political realities that make those last few yards so difficult to cross. Would that we had a real Supreme Court that believed in the Constitution - and the principles it stands for, rather than the reactionary cabal that currently controls it. When the change comes, I want it to be so vast, so broad, so overwhelming that it sweeps all the detritus away. I think I hear the thunder of the coming storm, and I smile. Don't be patient, but do keep a weather eye out, because in storms there are eddies that can suck us all back out to sea.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich