I just finished "The State of Jones: The Small Southern County That Seceded From the Confederacy" by Sally Jenkins & John Stauffer. I actually saw her on the Daily Show one night and decided to check the book out.

Jones County is located in Southern Mississippi. My husband was raised in Mississippi and his immediate response was "they didn't teach me that in school" to which I said "as if they would".

Either way, it was quite an interesting book. While Jones County did not really secede completely, a large population of the men resident there remained loyal to the North and left The Conferate army at the first opportunity.

There are arguments, of course, about Jenkins' and Stauffer's accounts, as another book claims there were almost no men who deserted the confederacy. I find that somewhat hard to believe as it's fairly well stated in most civil war histories I've read that there were deserters on both sides.

Either way, whatever the history, it was a pretty good read.

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty certain they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues." - Liz Taylor