Cimmaron Rose is the first book I've read byJames Lee Burke that's not in the Dave Robicheaux series. This one’s protagonist is Billy Bob Holland, a Texas attorney. The one big similarity I see is that both men struggle with their pasts. On the differences side, I missed two things that run throughout the Robicheaux books: 1) Burke’s obvious love of New Orleans, its surrounding areas and its people and 2) Robicheaux’s philosophical comments on history and human nature.

The story in Cimmaron Rose is good, as are the characters. I’m disappointed that I wasn’t blown away, but I checked the publication date and found it was pretty early Burke. I know it took me a few books to warm up to Robicheaux so I’ll probably give Billy Bob another try. Emma, what’s your take on this series?

I have In the Moon of the Red Ponies (I see it’s Billy Bob) still on the unread shelf, am awaiting the paperback printing of Swan Peak, and am intrigued by White Doves at Morning. Anyone, including Emma of course, have any other Burke books to recommend?

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!