I excitedly took over the book to Martha New Year's Day. She had finished it the night before.

Every time I think I have a cool read for her, either she has read it or would bust a gut in order to NOT read it.

I Read "U is for Undertow" over the holidays. Overall I liked it. Where Martha HATES descriptions, I love them. Through these descriptive passages I am transported to imagining myself living in a pent house in NYC and eating in fine restaurants or picking up food at a bodega.

Martha didn't mention the two things that bothered me: (1) I think "U is for Undertow" was a lame title after I read the book. One minor character desides to exercise by swimming in the Pacific Ocean parallel to the seashore.

(2) The whole book is based on "repressed" memories. That's not giving anything away. We learn that a lot of "repressed" memories and "remembered" using suggestive methods; however, the author IMHO never explained a curious time line - that's all I'll say in case someone wants to read this book.

(3) Martha, do you remember when Kinsey used to trim her hair with fingernail clippers? That hasn't been mentioned in several letters of the alphabet. Maybe she's letting her hair grown long.

(4) I'd love to live in Santa Theresa but not Pico Mondo.

Where ever you go, there you are!