PS: In my review of Greatest Mysteries of the Unexplained, I forgot to cover trepanning. I first ran into trepanning in Stephen King's The Dark Half where, in my review, I defined. He had used it in connection with curing headaches, but the dictionary defined it as an instrument designed for cutting small holes in a surface or, as a verb, the action itself. Surprise! There's a whole section on trepanning in Greatest Mysteries. And, yes indeed, it's earliest meaning was a procedure used to cure headaches. In fact, it was still used early in the 20th century. I continue to be amazed at the range of stuff Stephen King knows.

Personally the trepanning section in opened up new thoughts about the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper," which was written in the 1890s. All of a sudden I find myself thinking the protagonist might have suffered an even worse fate than chewing the wallpaper and furniture in the room where she was held captive. Granted, her complaint was malaise, but had she even mentioned a headache in connection with it, she might have ended up with holes in her head.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!