The Short Life and Happy Times of the Shmoo by Al Capp (and edited by Harlan Ellison) was fun. The intro by Ellison was interesting, if a bit wordy and convoluted, specifically one section where he described looking for and finding the New York offices of the American Communist Party. No, I take that back. It wasn't convoluted because one danger of the Shmoo might also be a danger of communism. Whatever. If you'd like the connection illustrated more clearly, I'd suggest reading Ellison's introduction. No, he doesn't explain it. The connection is there; it's up to the reader to put it together. Truthfully, I didn't see it until five sentences ago.

And the rest of the book? It contains Li'l Abner's Shmoo series, about which I learned a couple things. Did any of you know the Shmoo came about as an aid to help the men run faster on Sadie Hawkins Day? That was news to me, as was the dark side of the Shmoos themselves.

Bottom line: Try it; you'll like it. Reading about Shmoos is a pleasant way to spend an hour or so.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 04/05/11 03:15 PM.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!