Last fall I took an online course on writing the literary short story. The teacher was a Clifford Garstang, and In an Uncharted Country is a collection of some of his short stories. Damn good short stories, I might add. They are about various groups of people, geographically related, as well as connected within their own individual stories. That made reading fun. You'd read about one set of people, then move on to another story about other people. The third story might concern people in the second story, those in the first story, or another group of people that will again appear in future stories. The farther in you get, the more people you meet, and you begin to see the inter connections among all the people.

But the collection of short stories is not only interestingly structured; many of the stories appeal as much to the emotions. In fact, as conscious as I now am about writing styles, I actually teared up in three places. That I consider to be high praise for the writer.

Recommend? Wholeheartedly!

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!