I enjoyed The Narrative of Frederick Douglas an American Slave—if it can be said that anyone "enjoys" a book about slavery. Still, I think it should be required reading for all middle-school students in this country. If nothing else, it would counter the textbook presentation of slavery where the slaves sang happily to "ol' massa," who was sitting contentedly on his plantation's white-columned front porch. (Okay, I'm taking that from a now out-of-date textbook, but a friend has a copy of what was used in his seventh grade history class, and the image is there.)

Specifics:

1) Frequently Douglas writes something that is eerily reflective of today. "They regarded it (the Great House Farm) as evidence of great confidence reposed in them by their overseers; and it was on this account, as well as a constant desire to be out of the field from under the driver's lash, that day (being selected for the Great House Farm) is deemed it a great privilege, one worth careful living for. He was called the smartest and most trusty fellow, who had this honor conferred upon him the most frequently. The competitors for this office sought diligently to please their overseers, as the office-seekers in the political parties seek to please and see the people. The same traits of character might be seen in Colonel Lloyd's slaves, as are seen in the slaves of be a political parties." (page 25) Today indeed!

2) "They (slaves) seemed to think that the greatness of their masters was transferable to themselves. It was considered as being bad enough to be a slave; but to be a poor man's slave was deemed a disgrace indeed!" (page 31) Wonder why the thought of Alabama's and Auburn's fans, those who attended neither University, sprang suddenly to mind.

3) "I have said my master found religious sanction for his cruelty. As an example, I will state one of the many facts going to prove the charge. I have seen him tie up a lame young woman, and whip her with a heavy cowskin upon her naked shoulders, causing the warm red blood to drip; and, in justification of the bloody deed, he would quote this passage of Scripture—'He that knowth his Master's will, and do it not, shall be beaten with many stripes.'" (page 57) Gotta love how the Bible can be used.

4) "I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the south is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes,--a justifier of the most appalling barbarity,--a sanctifier of the most hateful frauds,--and a dark shelter under which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal deeds of slaveholders find the strongest protection." (page 72) And the religion of the south seems to be at it again.

Overall? Strongly recommend.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!