In Speak, author Laurie Halse Anderson, takes the reader through the emotional breakdown of Melinda, her heroine, who has been raped prior to her first year of high school. I really got caught up in this one. I'm not sure that was true based on the book itself, the author's writing, or the curious mind-disconnect I find myself while reading and writing these days. But we'll look at least one specific and one word.

Specific:

1) "Before the suffragettes came along, women were treated like dogsā€¦.
"They were dolls, with no thoughts, or opinions, or voices of their own. Then those suffragettes marched in, full of loud, in-your-face ideas. They got arrested and thrown in jail, but nothing shut them up. They fought and fought until they earned the rights they should have had all along." (page 155)

Word usage that amused me:

1) feednote? "I write the best report ever. Anything I copied from a book, quotes and footnotes (feetnote?)" (page 155) Why not? It sounds as logical as anything else in English. Even if www.dictionary.com doesn't acknowledge its existence.

Overall? Recommend highly. Particularly for those who don't look down on YA reading material.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!