Originally Posted by Greger
Joe, I've been known to eat plenty of garbage in my day as well. At Sav-A-Lot I just picked up a pack of 8 frozen beef and bean Chimichangas for $2.99. I've been working on a re-model and have been too tired to do much cooking at suppertime. I just turn on the fryer and in a few minutes supper is ready.
But that hamburger helper stuff, if you'll take the time to read the package you just might find that there is nothing in it you don't already have in your pantry at home. Except the oddball preservatives and chemicals and guar gum(ground guar beans) and modified corn starch which are both used as thickeners.
It tastes good, and it's fast and easy when you're in a hurry. I hit the wall quite some time ago as far as fast food or junk food goes, but I was genuinely surprised how good HH tastes, especially when pushed for time. I just don't make a habit of using it more than once a week.
Originally Posted by Greger
Have you ever made mashed potatoes and Hamburger gravy?It used to be a favorite of mine when I was a kid. Sort of a depression era Hamburger helper. An onion, chopped, a pound of hamburger, browned with the onion, add a couple tablespoons flour and stir it in to deglaze the pan, then add water or stock while stirring to make it into gravy.
Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy. Also good with noodles.
Yes, and just about any other kind that I got drippings from whatever I was roasting or frying. I'm also very fond of egg noodles and/or mashed potatoes, especially made with garlic and chicken broth. I suspect that food prices will skyrocket before too much longer, but- at least for now- you can eat reasonable good for not too much money. Sometimes for a late night snack, I boil some egg noodles in just enough chicken or beef broth to cook the noodles and absorb most of the liquid. I then add butter and/or soy sauce, and it just hits the spot. Hot pepper sauce also works well.