I've always assumed that food prices were directly related to energy prices. Diesel fuel, both on and off road, electricity to process and keep food fresh, fertilizer requires a huge amount of energy both in mining and synthesizing. And good old corporate price gouging is always a factor too.
When the peasants are down...kick 'em.

Blessed Imolc everyone! I've been working on the feast for three days now. We'll start with a cheeseboard featuring a Spanish Manchego made from sheep's milk, a couple of Irish cheeses and a few other nice sampling of imported and domestic artisan cheeses, Some rugelach filled with ground sunflower seeds and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Then a rich lamb stew with Irish soda bread, next a salad of Spring greens with a papaya chutney dressing.
The entree will be lambchops with a balsamic citrus reduction sauce, neeps and tatties and Brussels sprouts. Afterward home made ice cream pecan pie or chocolate lava cake. I've also made some butterscotch pudding just in case someone hasn't got room for a large dessert.
Then perhaps a glass of port, or whiskey.

Food prices be damned, a good feast is not to be skimped on.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...