Originally Posted by Siannan
Originally Posted by Scoutgal
Originally Posted by Greger
I think cured bacon is a little too fatty and a little too cured. It works for traditional Boston Baked beans but for Barbecue Beans I like a lot little bits and pieces of slowly simmered and tender pork., lots of onions, and a cup or so of barbecue sauce along with the brown sugar and molasses.

We liked the smokiness of the bacon. It seemed to compliment the BBQ sauce very well. Whenever we made butter beans, we used onions, fatback or salt pork chopped up fine. Or a smoked ham hock. Those would cook all day, and then we added a dash or two of worcestershire sauce to them. This was traditionally served with a baked ham and stewed greens-at least in our house.

You have to email me that butter bean recipe. I may just be able to kill my husband with it if I can get him to eat the entire container. He LOVES butter beans. You don't mind being and accessory to murder, do you?

Siannan, here it is:

1 bag dried butter beans, washed and soaked overnight
2 white or yellow onions chopped fine
1 clove garlic crushed and diced
2-3 stalks celery-diced
1 carrot diced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
1-2 smoked ham hocks
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt to taste
Pepper to taste

In large dutch oven, saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots in oil or butter until onions are transparent. Add drained beans, ham hocks and seasonings add water to cover cook on low until beans are tender, about 3-4 hours, but taste-test. I like to serve this with greens(Kale, mustard, collard or Spinach) and corn bread. The best way to make cornbread is to mix your batter, and pour into a greased cast iron skillet, and bake in the oven. when you stew the greens, use a a piece of bacon to season. If you like it spicy, serve with Tabasco sauce on the side, or season with a bit of cayenne pepper.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.