All this talk about beans got me hungry, so I made a pot of bean soup last night and just had some for breakfast. I had picked up a package of Hurst's HamBeens 15 Bean Soup mix, but you can substitute a pound of Great Northern, Navy, or whatever you prefer. I more or less follow the package's directions, which are simple and don't require anything exotic or that you won't use again.

Recipe (more or less): After soaking beans overnight, drain water, and rinse. Add two quarts of water and 1 lb ham hocks, add the 2 quarts of water and meat to beans, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer (light boil) uncovered for 2 and 1/2 hours. If necessary, add some water. Then add one diced onion, one can 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes or tomato equivalent (you can use more, such as a 28 oz. can), 1 tsp. chili powder, juice from one lemon and garlic to taste (one to two cloves- I use about a bulb). Simmer another 30 minutes and add contents of ham packet 1-2 minutes before cooking is completed if you have a ham packet to add (you really don't need it). Salt and pepper to taste. I like the variety of the 15 Bean Soup mix. IMO- tastes pretty good.