My mom had a beautiful bean pot that she used to make the BBQ baked beans. She used a dutch oven for most of the other bean recipes that we ate. We always had black-eyed peas for New Years, growing up. She would make them, using the same recipe we use for butter beans, except we used slat pork and pork bits, instead of ham hocks. No smoky flavor. I like the 15 bean combo. Our grocery stores sell that in a bag for soup. It comes with a seasoning packet, but my family doesn't like it as much as our usual family recipe.

I've seen Little Gem lettuce at the organic market. I'll try some with the diced chicken filling. Thanks for the tip, schlack!

Tonight, for Father's Day, we are having Mr. Scoutgal's favorite meal. Pot Roast slow cooked all day in the crock pot. I seared the roast, and sprayed the crock pot with vegetable spray. Dropped in the roast, covered with pearl onions, carrots, celery stalks and red rose potatoes. Seasoned with kosher salt, paprika, two bay leaves, parsley, two cloves of garlic and pepper. For liquid, I add one cup dry red wine(I like a good burgundy), 4 cups beef stock or beef broth, and if needed, water to cover. Cook on low for at least 6 hours. I serve it with King's Hawaiian rolls and butter. Oh, I also make a gravy from the liquid with Wondra and a whisk. No lumps!

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.