'
Hey, I like fermented soy beans !

Fermented fish sauce has been a part of Western cuisine since the days of the Romans -- who also adored dormice in honey!!
The insecty things are no different than eating crawdads, shrimp, prawns, crab and lobster -- not to mention scallops and oysters !!
And in a proper Japanese restaurant they would be presented artfully and attractively, not in a higgledy-piggledy pile as in your photo !!

I can see you are spoiling for a fight, Greger, so I will match your ten and raise you five ! · · grin

[b]15 American Foods That Are as Weird to Foreigners as Poisonous Blowfish Is to Us[/b]

"Boiled animal bones and hide, colored with garish chemicals.... "Oh, you like your Jell-O, don't you?"

"I do think biscuits and gravy are gross and strange." -- Hala, Canada via Lebanon

"Bacon and eggs in the morning seemed weird to me. And then I realized that I could wake up really, really early to find myself a nice baguette or croissants for my breakfast!!!!!!" -- Genevieve, France
Then, one might mention :

* Consuming the lactic secretions of ruminants
* Grits -- or maize in all its forms
* Processed cheese [ugh!]
* Squishy "bread"
* The ersatz "food" called "marshmallows"
* Glop that pretends to be something like mayonaise

* And, of course, American hot dogs!! · · [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]