Sandy,
My "review" of Atlas Shrugged will probably cover a lot of ground. I'm very glad I've read the three of hers and I'm very glad I read them in the order I did. I think the most pleasant surprise I've had with Rand is what a good storyteller she is. In AS when the story was heading toward the train crash, I couldn't put it down. But when she "landed" in happy valley and all the super businessmen would talk out their views, I was bored silly. I got the point long before they stopped talking about it. Now, however, Dagny (sp?) is back out in the world where the idiots are taking over. There's conflict and action, and I'm a happy listener.

Kathy,
Literature as escape. Hummm. Squack! Does not compute FOR ME and I imagine the problem is too many years and courses as a drama and English major. Part of my enjoyment is ferreting out the writer's take on things and how he/she presents it through plot, character, thought, etc. I guess you can take the girl out of the literary analysis, but you can't take the literary analysis out of the girl. I mean, I see the 87th precinct novels as escape but I can't help analyzing them. Your approach is probably better. Mine probably leads to insanity. Out, out damned metaphor!

You need to talk about books with Pat Blackman. She's given up on me, too.

Can I go to COSTCO with you for lunch?

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!