Originally Posted by Greger
That sounds like a great casserole, Joe, and legumes are a good thing and should be consumed as often as possible.
I almost never make mac and cheese. Mostly 'cause I don't eat pasta much. I don't hate it or anything, it's just a white starch I can get along without mostly. I actually love mac and cheese as a side dish but it's kind of a lot of trouble to make.
I don't eat mac and cheese often, but I like it once in awhile. Boiling water is a lot of trouble if you think that boiling water is a lot of trouble. I find mac and cheese easy to prepare and bake in about an hour or so, and it makes a light lunch or dinner (moderate servings). I eat pasta about once or twice a week. I love it. I suppose if you're diabetic that you should forgo it, but I've seen diabetics enjoy it without any problems. Remember a few years ago (or was it decades?)that eggs suddenly were bad and would kill you? Suddenly all the hypochondriacs either stopped eating eggs all together or just egg whites. Really. People have been eating eggs for thousands of years, and all of a sudden they became a problem. Maybe eating a dozen or two per day with a pound of bacon will present some health challenges, but I doubt that an egg or two once in awhile present any risk for a normal healthy person. Hey, and remember when butter was also ostracized as hazardous to your health and you should have immediately switched to margarine? I never did, nor did anyone in my family. Now they're saying that margarine is bad for you, and you should use butter. Go figure. At any rate, pasta is one white starch that I enjoy.