'
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
Remember a few years ago (or was it decades?)that eggs suddenly were bad and would kill you? Suddenly all the hypochondriacs either stopped eating eggs all together or just egg whites. Really. People have been eating eggs for thousands of years, and all of a sudden they became a problem. Maybe eating a dozen or two per day with a pound of bacon will present some health challenges, but I doubt that an egg or two once in awhile present any risk for a normal healthy person. Hey, and remember when butter was also ostracized as hazardous to your health and you should have immediately switched to margarine? I never did, nor did anyone in my family. Now they're saying that margarine is bad for you, and you should use butter. Go figure. At any rate, pasta is one white starch that I enjoy.
I tend to avoid sugars and other carbohydrates, along with some fats, as garbage calories -- but I don't make a religion of it.
In my moderately long lifetime, I have seen all too many food fads come and go, and all too many "authoritative" pronoucements by the "experts" disproven or rendered questionable.
My normal state of scepticism applies to almost all food dogmas, as it does to all the rest of life.

My strong suspicion is that heredity and personal physiology and conditions of exercise are what makes food good or bad for you.

"One man's meat is another man's poison."

However, in most cases, I think being abstemious is good for most people, most of the time.
After all,

"You dig your grave with your teeth." · · grin

Last edited by numan; 11/29/12 12:11 AM.