Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
baby back ribs

[quote]Really? I thought North Carolina BBQ was all about whole hog, with all the parts chopped up and mixed together. Never had it myself, but I'd like to try it sometime. I understand it is more moist with higher fat content than pulled pork shoulder because it doesn't get cooked as much.

You are correct on all counts. There nothing like cooking a pig in the ground over coals. It is quite a bit of work taking all night and then some and you'll need friend to help you tend the coals and shoveling them into the pit and you'll need help turning the pig over. When it's done you are ready to have a pig pickin' where you get your own meat right of the hog.

The trick is to get some of what is known in NC pig circles as "Mr. Brown", which is outside smoked meat that has turned brown and mix it with lighter inside meat. A lot of people like it chopped. If I'm ordering it at world class pig joints say like Parker's in Wilson, NC I'll order "outside chopped". Most of the time for BBQ sandwiches you are going to get pork shoulder. That's best for sandwiches. It's also standard that you get Carolina cole slaw (usually minced) on top of the meat and then the bun.

If you even attempt to put mustard or ketchup on your BBQ sandwich, the entire restaurant will immediately take you outside and whip your butt. Probably whip your grandmama's butt too if they can find her. So don't do it. wink

There is a higher fat content. And all kidding aside, the truth behind vinegar based sauce is that eastern NC, Tidewater Virginians and Low Country South Carolinians prefer sauce that enhances the flavor of the slow cooked smoked pork. Vinegar sauce enhances the meat all other sauces hide the flavor of the meat.

I prefer Saint Louis cut racks over baby backs, when I smoke up some ribs. I like something I can chew on a little bit, and the baby backs tend to just fall right off the bones and dissolve.

Ms. Slipped and I were discussing that very thing last night. She prefers St. Louis cut and she likes sweet glop sauces. Needless to say she didn't grow up down home. However, she will tell you that her favorite BBQ sandwich is from Olde Tyme BBQ in Cary, NC, and oddly enough it's a chopped sandwich with vinegar sauce (no sugar in it) with cole slaw on the top. Go figure.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.